Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Suprise Release

Old 09-06-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Suprise Release

Just being a deer hunter not competitive shooter i have always just slowly squeezed or deliberatly punched my release to make it go off. This worked well for a while but lately i've had a problem with target panic and i have been reading up on the proper release, but i've came across two different methods for a surprise release with a caliper release. The first is when you come to full draw push the bow foward with your front arm and pull back with your release arm, as if you were pulling the bow apart. The other method i've read about is when you squeeze your shoulder blades togther to trigger the release. I was wondering if anyone had experience and or used one of these methods to set off their release?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Suprise Release

Thats really how you should use a release. It should surpise you, or you will puch the release, making those long shots difficult to make.

That is the second thing I teach new archers.. First being holding the bow correctly, using very little palm. I also want to break off those fingersthat I see them extended on the bow hand, drives me crazy!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:47 PM

i shoot a caliper release,i never just punch the release,i shoot with tension on my back and onmy shoulder blades, i slowly move my elbowback behind meto release, every shot should be a surprise when it goes off, just like a rifle,you have to have discipline, breathe andrelax
My .02$
Lenny
Old 09-06-2007, 06:52 PM

so are you guys using the squeezing your shoulder blades together method or the pulling your bow apart one?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Mount Dave

so are you guys using the squeezing your shoulder blades together method or the pulling your bow apart one?
the blades... If you act like your pulling your bow apart, you'll tend to pull your bow hand to the left.

I shoot a thumb release for competitionand hunting. Just pull back with your release in position. if you shoot a trigger release, hold the trigger and start to pull back using your back muscles, slowly. Practice this with your eyes closed.. Get close to your target first.... It will come together.
PM me if you need more help. I'll give you a phone call.
Bob
Old 09-06-2007, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

i too heard of both ways to shoot. and the ole faithful "pull the trigger" method.

i find by coming to full draw and hooking my trigger finger around the trigger, i can trigger the release by squeezing my shoulders together...and i shoot more accurately like that. learned to do that by shooting longer ranges...shrunk my groups alot. now i just gotta become more consistant at it...

shooting close range and eyes closed really helps. i did that for a while, while my bow was all out of whack and i was waitin on a new string to get er back in tune. that week i worked soley on form and release. sometimes 15yds shooting spots working on both eyes opened and follow through...sometimes shooting at a couple feet, eyes closed. taught myself alot that week and shot better now than i did before..