Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Single pin sights?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:22 PM

Default Single pin sights?

I have been wanting to switch from a multi-pin sight to a single.I bought a used cobra single pin no adj. arm. The only thing is I'm not quite sure how to go about sighting in. At what distance? Any help or instruction is more than welcome.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Single pin sights?

Start close until you get your groups under control,then move back--if you're off(not hitting where you aim consistently,chase the arrow with the sight pin(off to the left move pin to the left).If you hit the bull at 10 yards and are off to one side or the other from 20 yards try moving you're rest opposite from where the arrow is hitting.Just to get you started.I can't say that i've ever seen a sight that didn't have some adjustment--can you post a picture of the sight?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've hunted with a single pin for quite a few years. Much will depend on the terrain you hunt and the speed of your bow, not to mention your own ability.

Generally I know my shots will be 30 yards or less. My bows shoot between 260 fps and 275 fps. So I've found a setting of about 25 yards will cover almost all shot opportunites.

After sighting in I check at various distances. 5 yards is about the same as 25yards;10 yards and 15 yards about 1 1/4" high; 20 yards about
1 3/4" high,; 25 dead on of course; 30 yards is about 3" low. So being realistic I can hold the center of the chest cavity out to 30 yards and make a killing shot with no holdover or under. And no guessing yardage either. KISS.

Most likely (in my mind) if I have to think about how far the deer is then he's too far.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 AM

Start close until you get it sighted, so you don't miss way high or way low......Then the process is the same as for a multiple pin sight, you just have to mark your yardages on some white tape on the slider bar....

The sight I have has fibre optic yardage markers that are movable, but it works the same. I have mine set at 20, 40, 50, 60, 70 and 80. I don't have a 30 because I just can't get them close enough. In a hunting situation I leave mine set at 25 yards. I am 1" high at 20 and 1" low at 30.

Oh, and as a reminder. To raise the pin, you have to LOWER the slider arm, and to lower the pin, you have to RAISE the slider arm. It pivots...
Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the one pin system.....its simple, clean and doesn't clutter your site window. By practicing alittle you'll see how simple it is. I sight my bow in (the single pin) at 20 yards. My most common shots are 17 to 20 yards. Inside 20 yards I'm right on. Actually about 1" high at 10 yards. So when I have a close shot I aim just a little low. If I have a 30 yard shot I am about 3 1/2" low.......so......at 30 I aim about 3" high. Its really simple.......especailly when you apply it in practice. I don't shoot deerpast 30 yards......I can.....I practice out to 50, but there are just too many uncontrollable variables past 30.
Practice alittle and then hit a 3D range...you'll be amazed!