Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How many of you have had a nock break...

Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many of you have had a nock break...

...on the shot? I've seen it happen at a range, but it finally happened to me, and to be honest, it scared the crap out of me. It sounded like I was shooting a 22 pistol. I was shooting from 20 yards when it happened, and the arrow still made it to the target and penetrated. I went over my rig with a "fine-toothed comb" and there's no apparent damage to my bow or string, so I'm assuming it wasn't a true dry-fire. How many of you have had this happen? Did it cause any problems with your bow?
Old 09-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many of you have had a nock break...

Happens quite a bit when your arrow hits something hard , it's not that big of a deal.
You just simply remove the broken nock out and replace it with a new one and there not that exspensive.
I'm not saying it happens all the time for me but it has happened from time ot time , after all nobodys a perfect shot all the time.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:55 AM

happened to me twice - both times with gt pin nocks. once it cost me a set of limbs - i heard that terrible 'tick' sound about 5 shots later. keep an eye on the bow over the next month as the .22 sound is not good.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Happened one time. No damage, guess I'm lucky. NowI check them every shot and change them often anyhow.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:08 AM

oh yeah - i don't shoot pin nocks anymore.

Old 09-05-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibblet

happened to me twice - both times with gt pin nocks. once it cost me a set of limbs - i heard that terrible 'tick' sound about 5 shots later. keep an eye on the bow over the next month as the .22 sound is not good.
gibblet,
Could you please describe the terrible 'tick' sound you referred to? I've shot the bow at least 70 times since that incident, with no problems, but I still have a bit of a 'tick' when I draw.I had my bow worked on for a 'tick', but it turned out to be a problem with a pivot bushing or something along those lines. Now it's barely there, and I don't believe it's any worse than it was before the incident.
What was the cause of the 'tick' you heard?
Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 AM

I had it happen when I used to use taper nocks on aluminum shafts and just twist them on for target shooting but I've never had it happen with a collet type nock system (uni-nocks). If you hear arrows impact each other you need to check the nocks and the carbon shafts for damage. Oh, when I've had it happen there wasn't any damage, but that was a wheel bow at 55#'s, not a lot of energy there.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:11 AM

the 'tick' is a sound that happens once.its the limb cracking. the one i'm referring to is a vertical crack - hairline - starting about 1.5" from the limb bolt. you can kind of feel it at the same time you hear it. once it happens the first time, you'll never forget it. i've heard it too many times. just thinking about it gives me the cringe.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Used to happen fairly often, but nock quality is much better than it was years ago.

Dan
Old 09-05-2007, 11:18 AM

the color makes a difference too. ask any tool maker and they'll tell you that some colors weaken the plastic.

Quick Reply: How many of you have had a nock break...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.