Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Crossbow advice

Old 01-07-2003, 11:17 AM

Default Crossbow advice

Due to severs arthritus, I had a complete shoulder replacement and can no longer draw a bow. I have a crossbow permit from the state of MAryland. My crossbow is an older Barnett Thunderbolt and really shoots quite well. It is however, noisey, and I've missed several deer because of the noise. How can I reduce/get rid of the noise? I've looked at the Sims limb savers but need an opinion as to whether or nor they will work. Any and all opinions will be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:37 PM

Default RE: Crossbow advice

Dave: We have been very successful at my shop in using some of the dampening products to greatly reduce noise in crossbows. What can and should be used depends on the crossbow. Older crossbows, however, present more of a problem, but can be made quieter. For someone who doesn't have any experience in this area, it is a trial and error situation.

Old 01-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-07-2003, 07:30 PM

JDoyle: I didn't realize that you were involved with Ten Point. During my recuperation after surgery, I wasn't allowed to use my compound and was able to get a temporary crossbow permit for hunting. I did a lot of experimentation with making a Stealth X2 quiet. I achieved a level of quietness that shocked both my staff and my customers.

I will be giving two seminars at the AMO/ATA Show. I would be glad to share my findings. If someone at Ten Point would like to discuss this matter, please have them contact me.

Old 01-08-2003, 05:48 AM

Thanks for the tips. Maybe it's time for me to look into a newer model.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-08-2003, 02:25 PM

Sorry you won't be there. I do know Rick and I will surely talk to him about this issue. Have a good trip.

Old 01-09-2003, 12:44 PM

I've been looking at new bows for the last hour or so. Am I better off to get a conventional limb or compound? Any particular brand? Ebay has all kinds and some at very attractive prices. Any recommendations will be helpful.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:43 PM

Dave I would recommend the Excalibur line They are a recurve Xbow that pushes the Bolt out in the 330 fps range Although I don't shoot a Xbow myself, My son and several relatives shoot them and have taken Moose with them. check them out at www.excaliburcrossbows.com
AL