Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow tolerances

Old 01-17-2002, 09:58 AM

Default Bow tolerances

Many times, there has been a mention of bow tolerances as being important when deciding which bow to choose. I got to thinking about it, and realized I do not know what the critical tolerances are, or how to measure them.

Just thinking about it, it occurs to me that an important one would be consistant limb thickness. Is it? If so, how would the measurement be taken? Multiple locations? Is a precision intrument needed, such as a very high quality caliper?

I'm guessing that other important measurements might be, the fit of the cams (looking for play), risers that are straight and not twisted, limb pockets that keep the limb from moving, yet make no noise, etc.

Can anyone elaborate on what's important and how to take the proper measurements? Thanks,
Old 01-17-2002, 10:08 PM

Default RE: Bow tolerances

I'll answer this since no else has. What I look for mostly is the limb pockets and how the limbs fit inside. I noticed a while back that Randy Ulmer had taken his limbs out and put what looked like JB Weld in his and then put the limbs back in to let it dry. Can't argue with his accuracy. I am currently shooting a PSE who puts shims in their limb pockets and I really don't see how a limb could shift in these. Other than that I will put a bow in the press and check for excessive slow in the cams.