Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Hoyt Noise

Old 09-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Hoyt Noise

Getting the Hoyt Xtec ready for my son - It's making noise on the release. You know, the one it would make if something were loose or not fitting right.

Took off the two piece quiver, took off the sight, took off everything but the trophy taker drop away restand still getting noise.

My archer friend says next I should go to a stiffer spined arrow.

Any ideas? THANKS in advance.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:06 PM

Default RE: Hoyt Noise

After posting this I read Arthur P's advice to yatesm about "bow noise". Thanks Arthur I will try the brace and ATA before anything else.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

have someone watch your string at the shot and see if its ocillating.Make sure the draw stop isnt lose. Same with the limb bolt locking bolts on the sides of the pockets.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:20 PM

Tube peep slap?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:33 PM

Sometime the bolt that holds the grip on will make noise. Make sure everything is tightened down.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:58 AM

Thanks I will try them all. Except the peep tube since there isn't one.

I was afraid that there is something wrong with a cam spindle either where the cam mounts on the spindle or where it goes into the limbs. Most agreed that is usually not a problem, saying they are either intact or completely broken.

I checked the limbs carefully for splits and don't find any.

Thanks again forum guys.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

In addition to the good advice you have already gotten, I would add that the Trophy Taker is not the quietest rest I've used. Do you have the launcher landing on something soft like molefoam or another type of pad? I would also agree that the modules can make noise if the screws are not tight.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:50 AM

Get The limbsaver pad for dropaways if you do not have one. It is excellent!
Old 09-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had noise problems with Hoyts. Try and tighten the cam bolts. They look tight but can be loose. The wood grip does loosen. Make sure the limb bolt pocket screws are tight. The plastic washer isn't much and is made to sit only one way. If you back the screws out slightly more than slightly the washers will spin out of place. I replaced mine with brass ones.

If you hold the bow by the grip and pound on the top limb/cam enough to make things vibrate you'll be able to pin point the noise if it is something loose. A cable guard slide can chatter. Strings could be out of wack. If they are the bow will be fighting against it self.

The spring in my rest (GKF infinity drop) vibrated after every shot. I finally fixed it by opening it and pouring hot wax in. It's very quiet and smooth now.