Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching Contact

Old 09-01-2007, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Fletching Contact

I just recently fletched up some new shafts with white blazers and shot them last night in my basement...two with muzzy practice broadheads. This morning I went down to shoot the practice broadheads a few more times and when pulling the arrow from my target, noticed some marks on the bright white fletching. When I looked at the second arrow, the marks were identical in two locations.

I'm shooting a Switchback XT with a whisker biscuit and had never had reason to think I was getting contact before. I just recently switched to blazers and just eyeballing the centerline, it seems a little tight. And don't see why the practice broadheads would makea difference, but I checked the other four arrows that I'd recently shot with field points and could barely make out any contact marks.

Any advice or suggestions? I don't have any spray on foot powder, but that's my next move I guess to be sure.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fletching Contact

Forgot to mention....shooting the cock vane up of course.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Whisker Bisquit and no contact? It's all contact the key is to a whisker bisquit is even contact throughout....nothing you can do about contact with a WB, they are designed that way...lol Black whiskers, white fletch, it's going to happen.

Make sure however your fletch isn't catching your cables. I notice too you either have a right helical or offset on those blazers, isn't that detrimental to contact through a WB?
Old 09-02-2007, 06:39 AM

drool...I have also just yesterday refletched with blazers and installed a WB for the first time on my set up...Last night I had noticed the exact same markings on my blazers as shown in your pic.. I also am confused on what may be causing these markings....what am I rubbing on??? Hopefully we will both get some helpful insight on this prob...
Old 09-02-2007, 07:01 AM

Hey guys-i had a whisker on my bow.it did the same to my blazers.it is a full contact rest,there will be no getting around this.the blazers hold up much better than other vanes on a rest of this type.unless your getting cable contact or your rest isnt set just right,this is going to be normal.i ended up switching to a dropaway because of this and other reasons.good hunting guys........................
Old 09-02-2007, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Whisker Bisquit and no contact? It's all contact the key is to a whisker bisquit is even contact throughout....nothing you can do about contact with a WB, they are designed that way...lol Black whiskers, white fletch, it's going to happen.
Rob...funny you mention that, because after I posted it, I thought wow....how many crazy comments am I going to get regarding contact when I use the WB. I didn't specify that I thought it might be something other than the rest....like cables. And all I may accomplish with foot powder is to cake up my WB!

Maybe it is just the bristles and I'm concerned about nothing...other than jacking up my pretty white vanes! I hope to stain a few red here in a couple weeks though.

As far as the slight helical...before I bought my bitz about a month or so ago to start fletching for the first time, I posted a questionregarding fletching blazers and shooting them through theWB. For the most part, the consensus seemed to be that the slight amount of offset you could getusing 2 inch vanes was negligible going through the WB.Keeping in mind that I shoot a fixed broadhead (muzzys), I opted away from astraight fletch.

Thanks for your input....always a pleasure Bud.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I too am shooting white blazers thru a WB and getting the same smudges. However, it seems to be lessening as myWB "ages".I think it comes from the bristles. It doesn't seem to be affecting my grouping. If it starts to bother me I'll just switch to black vanes.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just chuckled as I read this. I've heard both sides of the "Blazers through a WB" thing, and might tend to agree w/ a slight helical potentially being more good than bad for getting some spin on that arrow to stabilize it.

OFF TOPIC......

MOOSE DROOL is my favorite brew of all-time, and seeing that screen-name brought back some warm memories of sitting on a bank above the Yellowstone River enjoying a cold bottle of the best. Thanks for bringing back that memory. Maybe someday I'll make it out west and enjoy that evening again!!!!