Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadhead groups...

Old 08-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default broadhead groups...

at 20yds my broadhead groups seem to be really opened up sometimes..other times they seem to fly dead on and true as could be.

shooting 125gr muzzys...thought it was broadhead tuned...i got 3 heads on 3 arrows and sometimes they all fly like darts...others they are unpredictable it seems.

i am still trying to rule myself out of the equation...i will admit to shooting them after a long fieldpoint session most of the time...but its wierd that i can still throw my fieldpoints well...guess they do magnify my form errors more than fieldpoints...could be it i guess...

but anything else to check for?? i spun them and they all spin like a Top...

yes arrow spine is good...

also, at longer ranges they seem to be more consistent...which really stumps me...
Old 08-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: broadhead groups...

If I had to make a guess, I'd say it's your anchor point not consistant.. But then again, we can't see what your doing. Either that or you may be punching your release.. Hard to say.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:26 PM

If your groups are better farther out then you're imparting some instability to the arrow that is showing up closer in. The Rev could have it but also check for hand torque or lack of follow through.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

This pic is my first three shots tonight. I shoot three blade muzzy's, had to move my sights for them.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think you guys could be right...after i posted i went and shot more...screwed them on different arrows too.

i think i got a mental problem actually...field points i can zing no problem....i find myself being super shakey and punching the trigger with broadheads...like im afraid of them?? nice problem to have 2 weeks before the hunt eh??

i will get the bugs worked out...i think its part mental and part fatigue...after tomarrow i wont be zingin fieldpoints...last 3d shoot of the season..

i think i do well farther out because i focus harder or something. really, i havent shot 20yds in a long while...most my practice been at 40 and 50 the last month. my close shooting is 30. guess i better go back to the basics and learn to shoot 20 and 25 again...i really dont think its equiptment....sometimes they shoot dead on...every arrow..

see what happens shooting them fresh...and block out the fact i got a big ole 3 bladed razor above my hand wierd i noticed how shakey and inconsistant i was shooting the BHs...just wierd..
Old 08-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mauser06

i think you guys could be right...after i posted i went and shot more...screwed them on different arrows too.

i think i got a mental problem actually...field points i can zing no problem....i find myself being super shakey and punching the trigger with broadheads...like im afraid of them?? nice problem to have 2 weeks before the hunt eh??

i will get the bugs worked out...i think its part mental and part fatigue...after tomarrow i wont be zingin fieldpoints...last 3d shoot of the season..

i think i do well farther out because i focus harder or something. really, i havent shot 20yds in a long while...most my practice been at 40 and 50 the last month. my close shooting is 30. guess i better go back to the basics and learn to shoot 20 and 25 again...i really dont think its equiptment....sometimes they shoot dead on...every arrow..

see what happens shooting them fresh...and block out the fact i got a big ole 3 bladed razor above my hand wierd i noticed how shakey and inconsistant i was shooting the BHs...just wierd..
YEP, your probably punching your release. It happens to all of us. I am shooting a state tournment tomorrow, and I know I am fighting target panic so I catch myself punching. It's just mental, relax and think each shot through let it happen don't force it... At least that is what I am depending on for tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:41 AM

yes arrow spine is good...
How did you verify this? The reason I ask is because this is quite common if you practice in varible conditions. If it's indoors, then this wouldn't apply. Wind will amplify anything that is off. You may also want to check your FOC. A high one will add a lot of stability to your broadheads, especially in wind.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

I had kinda the same thing happen to me.

I got tired of busting arrows so I mentally made myself stop group shooting. When I had to have my string replaced and had to resight everything back in, I could not group shoot for crap. I could shoot a single arrow in side of a bull's eye at 40yds ona consistant basis, but when I tried to group shoot I couldn't do it. And the closer I got, the worse my groups got.

It took over a week to get my groups together. All I could see in my head when I released the arrow is the $100 that I paid for that dozen.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

First of all, I would not shoot broadhead groups too often, as it can wreck perfectly good arrows and broadhead blades.

A few things could be happening. I know I have a tendency to look at my pin when shooting 20 yards, where at 30, I know I have to focus on the target if I want to be close. It seems like my old eyes can easily let the pin blur at 30 or 40 yards, but at 20, the target is close enough that my eye can't make up its mind. You could be torquing with your bow hand, or release hand too. Release hand torque was one thing that I learned about while bare shaft tuning. If the arrows are flying really well most of the time, and only occaisionally fly off, then it is likely operator error. I would spin test the arrows if you have a spin tester.

The other thing that I personally would do, at this point, is shoot less arrows. The club where I can shoot is about 7 miles from our house. A few times, I have strapped the bow to the handlebars of my mountain bike, and put just one arrow in the quiver. I have to bike over, and only allow myself one shot to make or break the day. This tends to make me concentrate on that shot. Seems a lot like hunting where the one shot is all that really matters. I would be taking only one shot at that deer target at a time. I would also be aiming a little closer to the front leg to get the lungs and take the aorta off the top of the heart.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

My guess would be a follow through issueor another mechanic flaw when shooting the broadheads.

Quick Reply: broadhead groups...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.