Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Performance difference 70 to 60# limbs

Old 09-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Performance difference 70 to 60# limbs

honestly, if your shooting fine now, i'd leave it alone this close to season. I personally shoot a 500 grain carbon out of my setup, and while the trajectory isnt as good as before, my bow is more quiet, and the difference in momentum is noticeable.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HLTJR

Will going to the axis 400's drop my overall speed? Is this sufficent? Or should I goheavier? But since the season is right around the corner how well do you think the axis 500's that I an shooting will do ?How much does speed really account for? I do have a range finder just bought a leupold rx II camo. Pd 200 for it 100 bucks cheaper than cabelas and bass pro even with shipping added.
You must have a ton of stuff on your string. IMO you should be shooting 400's to begin with. I shoot 27" draw and the highest weight I've been able to push a 500 spine is about 63#, and that with 80gr glue-in points.

I would guess that you have enough stuff on your string that it doesn't let the bow transfer enough of it's energy to the arrow, thus the slow speed.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:15 PM

The only thing on my string are the 2 string shox, loop and meta peep. I just put the meta pep on. I had the old rubber band type peep.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:33 PM

I agree - 64 lbs. an 27" draw . . . should be a 400 series arrow. Even with 75 grain heads.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:56 AM
Banned

These forums have taught me alot. One ofthe biggest facts that I have learned from forums and proshops is that you gain no speed ,or very little with a 70# setup over a 60# setup, due to the heavier arrow weight required from the heavier spined arrow. If you keep the recommended grains per inch per pound, both bows will shoot the same in speed. You only gain more kinetic energy from the 70# arrow but with a 60# setup you are still over 15 ft pounds of the recommended kinetic energy needed for bear, elk, or caribou and over 25 ft pounds of the recommended kinetic energy for a whitetail deer. A 60# bow will kill anything that walks the North American continent. Considering that 90% of all bowhunters will never shoot anything larger than a whitetail deer, these heavy poundage bows are just not necessary. Years ago when bows were not efficient at delivering and producing energy, maybe 70# was a great merit in a bow; but not with these new modern bows. My newest bow, a 29" Guardian peaked at 62#, is shooting my 28" 394 grain A/C/C arrow at 273 fps. Since noise travels at 1128 fps it is way more important to have a bow as quiet as possible IMO. I have never heard a 70# bow shoot as quiet as a 60# bow. Bows also perform the best at their peak weight and so many guys have a 70# bow and have it turned down in poundage and are not getting the full performance from their bow like they could. Bowtechs' engineering dept told me on the phonethat their bows leave the factory at their peak and that a 60# bow peaked out will outperform a 70# bow turned down to 60#. I have seen the light with these 60# bows and will never go back.
http://www.bowhuntinginfo.com/KineticEnergyNew.htm
Old 09-04-2007, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

These forums have taught me alot. One ofthe biggest facts that I have learned from forums and proshops is that you gain no speed ,or very little with a 70# setup over a 60# setup, due to the heavier arrow weight required from the heavier spined arrow. If you keep the recommended grains per inch per pound, both bows will shoot the same in speed. You only gain more kinetic energy from the 70# arrow but with a 60# setup you are still over 15 ft pounds of the recommended kinetic energy needed for bear, elk, or caribou and over 25 ft pounds of the recommended kinetic energy for a whitetail deer. A 60# bow will kill anything that walks the North American continent. Considering that 90% of all bowhunters will never shoot anything larger than a whitetail deer, these heavy poundage bows are just not necessary. Years ago when bows were not efficient at delivering and producing energy, maybe 70# was a great merit in a bow; but not with these new modern bows. My newest bow, a 29" Guardian peaked at 62#, is shooting my 28" 394 grain A/C/C arrow at 273 fps. Since noise travels at 1128 fps it is way more important to have a bow as quiet as possible IMO. I have never heard a 70# bow shoot as quiet as a 60# bow. Bows also perform the best at their peak weight and so many guys have a 70# bow and have it turned down in poundage and are not getting the full performance from their bow like they could. Bowtechs' engineering dept told me on the phonethat their bows leave the factory at their peak and that a 60# bow peaked out will outperform a 70# bow turned down to 60#. I have seen the light with these 60# bows and will never go back.
http://www.bowhuntinginfo.com/KineticEnergyNew.htm

HCH- Great post. I totally agree with everything you said. Unfortunately I was one of those that thought that I needed 70#. I don't know if it is a pride thing or a bragging thing. I had my bow for a month and my groups were staggering and I could only shoot for so long without getting fatigued. So I made a call to my proshop to see if he could order me some 50-60# limbs. He kinda chuckled and said " You should of listened to me to begin with". ( He tried to talk me into the 60# and had all the reasons you had in your post) So I am now shooting 60# and I only lost 10-12fps. My bow is now a blast to shoot.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:53 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow
I guess it's a matter of the definition of "heavy". To me, 460 grains is medium light. I would never be confortable hunting big game with something that weight.

bigcountry, I'm not trying to nitpick on your weight choice, I just think those reading might benefit from thinking about what really qualifies as performance when it comes to shooting big game.
You know straight, never had a problem with light arrows, heavy arrows. Killed dozens of deer without problem there. I think people overthink most of this. I know I used too.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I guess it's a matter of the definition of "heavy". To me, 460 grains is medium light. I would never be confortable hunting big game with something that weight.

bigcountry, I'm not trying to nitpick on your weight choice, I just think those reading might benefit from thinking about what really qualifies as performance when it comes to shooting big game.
You know straight, never had a problem with light arrows, heavy arrows. Killed dozens with problem there. I think people overthink most of this. I know I used too.
Ain't this the truth. Too much thinkin and not enough tuning of form and equipment.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:35 AM

You know straight, never had a problem with light arrows, heavy arrows. Killed dozens of deer without problem there. I think people overthink most of this. I know I used too.
I hear you. My comments are more directed to those hunting for only a few years or those who never learned to tune arrows. Guys like yourself are likely to be successful with most setups.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
bigcountry

Guys like yourself are likely to be successful with most setups.
I wouldn't say that. I had a severe dry spell between 1997-2002. And last several years, have been bumper years. But know dry spells can come again and probably will.

but I know what you are saying. Everybody isate up with speed these days. Thats the reason I don't see AMO speeds reported anymore. Which was an ignoredbutimportant number to me And you get to the point where you really got enough speed.