Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

The Bow Hand

Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 AM

Default The Bow Hand

The following is the way that Randy Ulmer and Easton recommend for howmost archers should have their bow hand. I find this way to be the best for me, eventhough I have had others tell me to do a bit differently.

"For most archers, the point of maximum pressure on the hand should be perfectly in line with the two bones that make up your forearm - the radius and the ulna. You want the pressure point right between the ends of these two bones at the base of the palm of your hand. (In other words, imagine a rod going all the way down the center of your forearm lengthwise and continuing out through your palm. Where this rod exits is where you want the most pressure.)"

What do others think? How does this compare to how you do it?
Old 08-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: The Bow Hand

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

You want the pressure point right between the ends of these two bones at the base of the palm of your hand. (In other words, imagine a rod going all the way down the center of your forearm lengthwise and continuing out through your palm. Where this rod exits is where you want the most pressure.)"

What do others think? How does this compare to how you do it?
Well, I thought I was doing it right, but if that's the correct way, either I'm doing it wrong or my physiology is different from Randy Ulmer's.
I was taught that the bow grip shouldn't make solid contact with any part of the hand on the palm side of the "lifeline". When I'm at full draw, the point of max pressure would be in a direct line out from the radius instead of a line out from between the radius and ulna.
Using the above method, the point of maximum pressure would be just on the other side of the lifeline right at the beginning of my wrist.
Hey, if I'm doing it wrong, someone tell me before opening day.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:58 AM

Default RE: The Bow Hand

I am not saying that you are doing it wrong if it works for you. I quess I am saying that the above way works much better for me, than the method you describe as working for you and as other have suggested that I try.
I am just curious.