Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbie Question

Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Newbie Question

Hello,

Sorry for the lame question. I have only been bowhunting for a year but everyone here has always been great answering my questions. I just purchased 6 new arrows and had the shop cut them and install the inserts and line up the broadheads. I probably would have done this my self but they are the small diameter beamans and they have the hit insert which looks like you need a tool to install them etc. So aside from the fact that they did a horrible job ( 3 of the arrows have epoxy or cement on the shafts.) I can't seem to get the broadheads off. I have used my broadhead wrench and twisted as hard as I can on there, but they won't budge. Onthe arrows I set up last year the broadheadswent on and off no problem. So should it be this hard to twist the broadheads off? Or is my suspicion that they epoxied my broadheads on to my shafts correct. The store where I purchased them will remain nameless for now. But if they screwed up my $60 worth of arrows no mercy will be shown. Thanks for any advice.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:09 PM

Default RE: Newbie Question

Well, you have to wait 24 hours and let the inserts sit horizontally with out any thing in them. Some times the epoxy will cover the inside of the shaft where the shank of your broadhead sits, so I am guessing that they did glue your broadheags in on ya. You should have done them yourself. It is not hard and it comes with evrything you need to do it basically. AllYOU need is q tips and 91% Isopropyl.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would take them back, and ask them to fix the problem. Be nice at first, if they don't correct the problem, then play dirty, let us know who is is and we'll give him some free publicity.
Sounds like stories you hear from package store, not pro shops.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:18 PM

I let them set for more than 24 hrs. I would have done them my self but I didn't want to screw them up, this is all new to me so I figure I would get them done right.They didn't tell me to let the set for 24 hrsand theyalso gave me the shafts back with the broadheads in them. WhenI dropped them off I said I didn't need them right away, and would come back in a day or two. But the seemed hell bent on slaping in there and sending me out the door.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Spike

I got one suggestion that may work, pending on what epoxy they used. But try heating it up and turning the broadhead while the insert is warm.But dont hold heat on the arrow to long. I would also heat up the broadhead itself a littleand let the heat transfer through,warming any glue that is on the broadhead shaft itself.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:23 PM

Hey Rev,
It was at a box store. But they are the best in town. The Pro shop in town just has a bunch of guys behind the counter bumping into each other all day. A buddy of mine ordered 2 dozen arrows from the proshop and it tooks 4 months to get them. He went in over a month ago and arrows had been there for a while but they didn't know who they belonged to. Once the set them up for him they tried to charge him for a fletching job instead of the price of the arrows etc. So I'm at a loss as to where to get some good advice, help and setup.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:24 PM

Don't put any heat on the shaft at all!!!!!! This is a major no no and can distort shafts. The HIT epoxy cannot be heated up I beleive but it is worth a try just make sure that you keep the heat on the broadhead. If this does not work then go back and complain. I did my own HIT inserts and I am 17 years old plus it was my first time doing any kind of inserts. I just followed the instructions and they turned out perfect.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Spike

Ya.I over heated a shaft once, when spin testing. Man arrows turn to butter. lol. But i still use light heat when I'm doing it and probably shouldn't. But to much heat, definitely no good.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:31 PM

No heat at all to the shaft is good. It works just as well to do it to the point, but may take longer. I think I'll take my time intead of ruining my very exspensive arrows.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Typical Buck

As a newbie you do it like this; first you post a message asking what's needed to make your own shafts, then you buy it.
Second, you post a question how to make your own shafts with Bheads.
And then you just follow the advice of the guys who seem to have no social life what so ever outside of HNI ...
it worked for me, I am building straight flying arrows, but I still need to learn some better fletching.....

PS thank you guys.....I'm on my way in becoming a HNI junk myself.....

F.

Quick Reply: Newbie Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.