Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Left, Right Helical ??

Old 08-21-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Left, Right Helical ??

What is the difference between Left and Right Helical. I assume that the right helical spins to the right and vise versa, am I correct? I purchased a right helical fletcher and also ordered the straight fleth clamp, just not sure why I bought the right, did I make the right decision or not...
Old 08-21-2007, 08:52 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Left, Right Helical ??

You are correct. I shoot a hard left helical on my longbow, and constantly having to retighten the tips every shot. Cause a left helical, will loosen you tips when they impact.

Old 08-21-2007, 09:01 PM

OK so if you are using a straight flecth the arrow still spins, but what direction does it spin. Left or right?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:03 PM

That will be determined by whuch way you put the offset, most commen is to the right though.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

That will be determined by whuch way you put the offset, most commen is to the right though.
Correct, but forgive me for expounding on this a bit.

A straight fletch can in fact be done truely straight... in that case your arrow will not spin at all (if you are using vanes or blazers or something similar). Now, depending on what kind of jig you bought, you may be able to make your arrows offset left or offset right. Offset just means straight, but a few degrees slanting to the left or right. Direction is determined from the nock end of the arrow... so right would go from left at the nock to right at the tip. Most factory arrows are done this way.

Helical acctually wraps around the arrow, think like a barber pole, candy cane or a boat propeller... just not as extreme. What it allows you do to is have more surface area of the fletch catch the oncoming air... which makes your arrows spin/stabilze faster.

The only golden rule is this... if you are going to be using feathers... you must have RIGHT WING feathers fletches perfect straight, straight offset right, or right helical. Left Wing feathers perfect straight, straight offset left, or left helical. Feathers have a natural helical, or concave/convex shape to them, so you have to take that in to account. You can of course fletch regular plastic vanes or Blazers any way you like. Quickspins I believe need to be straight or offset right/right helical.

As to which you pick... it doesn't matter anymore. Historically, when bowmen shot off their nuckle as a rest, a right handed shooter needed to use LEFT wing feathers, or be subjected to the vane of the feather burying in his hand on the shot... today it doesn't matter at all really.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:43 AM

NAP says not to use Quikspins with a helical at all. Only straight or offset.