Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How many paper tune each arrow

Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many paper tune each arrow

This is why I don't paper tune and was told by 2 shop owners not to rely on it. It will just drive you insaine looking at stuff like this.

I spin test the arrows andF-tuning and the arrows fly great. If they fly great and hit the mark why shoot through paper just to make yourself beleive you need more expensive arrows?

If they fly great with BH's why worry about what it does through paper?

If they look good going through the air why worry about paper?

It almost seems like paper tuning was created by shop owners to sell more arrows or equipment.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you ever french tune and not have arrows fly great? Do ALL of the arrows you french tune with fly great? You have said before that you always have a "flyer". Do you just chalk that up as a bad shot or a bad arrow? How do you know which it is?

I don't think paper tuning is the end all, be all but it is a good tool if used correctly. Same as french tuning. I do think that to say one method, whether it is paper tuning or french tuning, is good enough is wrong though. Each method has its pluses and minuses but, if you use each for its pluses, then it can only help. Just like I would not paper tune and say I am all set I would not just french tune and say I am all set either.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:28 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

This is why I don't paper tune and was told by 2 shop owners not to rely on it. It will just drive you insaine looking at stuff like this.

I spin test the arrows andF-tuning and the arrows fly great. If they fly great and hit the mark why shoot through paper just to make yourself beleive you need more expensive arrows?

If they fly great with BH's why worry about what it does through paper?

If they look good going through the air why worry about paper?

It almost seems like paper tuning was created by shop owners to sell more arrows or equipment.
That was the problem. They wasn't flying great. Very inconsistent. I noticed it when my arrows with BH was getting awesome groups as I put the BH on the best consistent arrows. And the ones with field points was iffy. Thats when I did some investigation. When I started marking arrows, the paper told the tale much quicker than questioning myself. And then digging deeper, it all made sense. You just can't make a consistent judgement call on arrow flight by watching them.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they are shooting poorly then I can understand. I'm with you on that.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:18 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

If they are shooting poorly then I can understand. I'm with you on that.
Dave, if I had the last month to live over, it would have took me 3 hours to tune my rest, and sight in my bow. But I faced a multitude of issues, and learned a ton from hours and hours of work. From loose lock nuts on my riser, to getting max clearance with MZE, to installing speed nocks, to finding bad arrows. Its finally ready to hunt. Guess thats why I don't get paid to tune bows.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Isn't that always the case after you've gone through all the troubles and frustration?

The great part is now you can diagnose issues faster and know what to do to fix it.

I missed all of this over the past few years of not even picking a bow up. I'm glad I'm back in the game and like you m ready for the season to get here. September 15 is too far away!!!

Good luck and good shooting in 23 days!!
Old 08-24-2007, 04:42 AM

I too use a spine tester and fletch the cock feather to the stiff side. I also cull arrows that are too far off the average spine, into the practice pile. If I turn a nock, it's on the range. With the spine tester, I haven't turned a nock in years.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

BigCountry, I fooled around with ICS hunters etc for several years. Just before leaving Baltimore I bought some Carbon Tech Whitetails in the best grade straightness. They have two grades. Ones is .005 or something like that and the other .001. Out of 18 arrows I have 18 down right awesome arrows. I found a problem with some inserts coming out when I shot into my YellowJacket. I called Len had found he had also found that problem. After discussing it with the manufacturer several times Len came up with the cure. Carbon Techs inserts sucked no matter what glue they used to fix them. Len changed to another insert and end of problem. Who knows what Carbon Tech will do with that information, but Len has cured the problem for his customers. The arrows are awesome.