Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How many paper tune each arrow

Old 08-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many paper tune each arrow

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

Find a quality arrow and then you will not have to "spine test" each one. I use carbon tech whitetail xp's and have found them to be extremely consistant.
They better be. How much are they? 150 a dozen. But I have put alot of time into paper for each one. In the end, it would be worth it. Next year, I will morgage my house and by a dozen.
The rhino's are $104 at Lancaster Archery. The whitetail xp's I got for about $107 although I could have gotten regular whitetails for $80. Straightness tolerance is different for the xp's. Hippo xp's are $134 but regular hippo's are $104. Carbon techs are expensive but they are made extremely well.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:13 AM
bigcountry

Wow, thats only 20 more dollars than my carbon express.

I will see carbon express's reply and make a decision.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ive came to the conclusion that i really cant shoot fer chit. ive shot 2 dozen arrows. Easton Epic 400s and Carbon express terminator XP selects 6075s. i never had an arrow that ive found to fly extrememly bad..or noticably different than others. with fieldpoints atleast. broadheads last year with the Epics, i didnt have any that flew truer than others.

havent got around to shooting all the XPs with broadheads yet..but will...just to check.

these are arrows fletched by the shop...most of them cant even align the nocks let alone match the fletchings and spine...

so do i just get lucky or do i suck at shooting?? i was feelin alright about 1-2" groups at 40yds..but i cant pick out a bad arrow yet...

now, let me say this...i believe you guys 1000000%. it absolutely makes sense. i know this stuff from fishing rods. they have a stiff and weak side. making sure the stiff or weak side of each shaft is shot from the same position absolutely makes sense....but im stumped as to why i dont notice while shooting arrows that i havent done that too?

be nice if the makers already did that testing and put the lables on to mark the stiff side or something like that...heck, they could sell them for 50+$ more
Old 08-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd be willing to go way out on a limb and say it's the guys with longer draw lengths and longer arrows that notice the problem most. The longer the arrow, the more the inconsistencies are magnified.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:53 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I'd be willing to go way out on a limb and say it's the guys with longer draw lengths and longer arrows that notice the problem most. The longer the arrow, the more the inconsistencies are magnified.
Bet your right.Technically, you have to be right.I shoot 30". I guess thats long.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

that would magnify things...but the epics were 27 and the XPs are 28. i dont know...got me all wierded out...i guess today will be the day i screw my broadheads on every arrow and shoot them all...

then i got a buddy, that thinks im nuts for even shooting a whole dozen with fieldpoints...he "saves them for hunting" i asked what happens when they fly bad?? he says for 65$ a dozen they better not fly bad...i told him he was buying cheap carbons hes used to shootin alumanums. and told him he wont ruin a carbon by shooting it a couple times to make sure it flys true...he aint much of an archer anyhow....he just dont know it..
Old 08-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to have a 32" arrow unless I go to an overdraw setup. Back when I was shooting competitively, I did use a short overdraw. My field scores took an immediate 30 point average bump when I went to the overdraw and cut my arrows to 30". So that's how I formulated my theory.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Typical Buck

So, here's the logic question, how much difference in inches would a perfect spined, straight and well fletched arrow shot out of a papertuned bow fly compared to an arrow less perfect ( not as bad as bent or onevenly fletched ) , let's say just a slight missaligned insert so the fieldtip would give a very faint wobble.
Are we talking less than an inch difference or more ???
I'm asking because when I empty my quiver I always have one or two arrows missing the 3" target.

F.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: m9a9g9i9c

So, here's the logic question, how much difference in inches would a perfect spined, straight and well fletched arrow shot out of a papertuned bow fly compared to an arrow less perfect ( not as bad as bent or onevenly fletched ) , let's say just a slight missaligned insert so the fieldtip would give a very faint wobble.
Are we talking less than an inch difference or more ???
I'm asking because when I empty my quiver I always have one or two arrows missing the 3" target.

F.
A misspined arrow would be unpredictable. You just don't know. But the three I found that I suspect is bad, would create maybe 1/2" left tear in one orintation, and a 1/4" low tear in another, and a perfect bullet hole on another. So would you want to shoot a bow that has a 1/2" tear on paper? Fight would not be optimal.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a dz CaronTech Rhino XP's last year and shot the crap out of them and I guess that would be 3000 to 3500 shots. I spun them when I first purchased them and 10 out of 12 where perfectly straight. Now, 6 out of ten are still straight and I figured out that the ones that bent, bent on the weakest spined side. I only target practiced with them and was really happy with the durability from them.

Quick Reply: How many paper tune each arrow

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.