Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

1 pin only...Why not??????

Old 01-04-2003, 09:23 PM
CG

Default 1 pin only...Why not??????

Got to playing around a little with some lighter arrows in my Maverick and found that if I sight in a 30 yard pin, I'm 3 inches high at 20 and 6 inches low at 40, shooting 390 gr. arrows out of my Maverick set at 74# (Sorry don't know the fps, loaned out the chrono). Granted I would have to do some compensating (hold a few inches high) on a 40 yard shot, but in 10 years of bowhunting, I have yet to kill (or shoot at) an animal past 35 yards. Seems to be a no brainer.....I'd like to keep a 50 or 60 yard pin on for practice but for hunting it seems that the 30 yarder will do it. KE was a concern especially considering that the majority of my hunting is for elk and mule deer but with a conservative guess on fps, I'm still over 70 ft/lbs. Any thoughts?

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 01-04-2003, 09:26 PM
CG

Default RE: 1 pin only...Why not??????

Oops! Thought I was in the Bowhunting forum......oh well you guys will give me great opinions as always.....

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 01-04-2003, 10:16 PM

I shoot one pin set at 25yds. works for me.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

1 pin works for me.
set on about 23yrds.

Aussie by birth Texan by choice
Old 01-05-2003, 12:41 AM
Fork Horn

You're talking about plus or minus 3 inches from 0 to 35 yards. Add to that half your group size, doesn't leave much margin for error. And consider a close shot say at 15-16 yards and the steepness of the angle, that's cutting it too close IMO. I mean why go to the trouble of getting to shooting tacks when at 16 yards you're hitting 3 inches from your point of aim? You can do two pins one at 20 and one at 35 and do way better than that, with very little in terms of range estimation. Plus how many hunting setups are pushing 300 ft/sec which is what would be needed for that kind of trajectory. Again JMHO.

Edited by - Buckfevr on 01/08/2003 22:48:45
Old 01-05-2003, 11:17 AM

Hello,

I've mostly used 1-pin setting at 25 yards for 6 years now.
Just remember to aim low on the close shots.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a one pin fan myself. Any more than that and I get confused at the "moment of truth". I have used it set for 30 and 25 yards with good results. I think for myself a single 25 yard pin works well. I do like to practice at 40 50 and 60 yards, so I useualy keep a 50 yard pin on the bow for that, then cover it with black tape when I go hunting. I used and adjustable pin sight this year, but it never moved while hunting.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Typical Buck

CG,

Try a moveable sight like the one's made by Sightmaster, Toxonics, and PSE.
You still have just one pin but can change it for different yardages.
I own the SM and PSE.
The PSE is the better buy though.
Both have enough range to get you up to 100yd settings for long range practice shots.

Sag.

Old 01-05-2003, 07:12 PM

I've got the Cobra Easy Slide sights on my bows. I also see a lot of blurring of multi pin sights at the moment of truth on big game. I don't understand why because while target shooting I don't notice it. Maybe my eyes are bigger before the shot!
Old 01-06-2003, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shot 4 pins hunting for years, and just this past season decided to switch to one pin at 20, by practicing at different distances I found I could group just as well as I could with the 4 pins, all I had to do was either aim high or low depending on distance. I blew a shot once because I picked the wrong pin at the moment of truth, I knew the distance, but picked the wrong pin. Just my experience, every one is different.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.