Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

1 pin only...Why not??????

Old 01-06-2003, 10:02 AM

Default RE: 1 pin only...Why not??????

One pin is the way to go for hunting. I hated gapping pins.

Just practice at all yardages and you will be fine.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally, I use three pins. 8,18, and 28. But I also use heavier arrows by most peoples definition. When I have a shoot close in, I love the ability to put a pin on directly where the arrow is going and not have to guess. But that is a personal preference as is my heavy arrows.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:20 AM

One pin for me also, set at 26 yds. From 0 to 32 yds never more than 2" high or low.

Old 01-07-2003, 01:28 PM

the only problem you might run into is one that i have experienced. once you set 1 pin practice, practice, practice w/that set up. i shoot quite a bit and one year i got the great idea to do exactly what you're saying, i set 1 pin @ 30 yds just prior to hunting season. now i was so use to my usual 3 pins at 20,30, and 40 yds when i got in the field and got a shot i forgot that my pin was set for 30 yrds and didn't compensate for an 18 yd shot, and shot the deer in the withers right below the spin. end result NO DEER. i see now that i changed my hunting set up too close to the season starting and didn't afford myself the time i needed to adjust and familiarize myself w/it before i went into the field.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

nodose you are so right, I switched to one pin 3 weeks before the season opener and practiced my rearend off, I was shooting a very old slow bow so I really needed to practice a lot due to the drop in flight. With a faster bow you have less drop so it is a bit more forgiving. I set mine for 20 yards dead on, because I limit myself to 30 yards.

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Proud father of a Devil Dog
Old 01-08-2003, 10:04 AM
CG

Thanks for the replys. I think I'm going to stick with the one pin....On an elk, I don't think that I will have to compensate at all from 0 - 35. I'm +/- 2" from my zero at 30. If I should happen to take a 40 yard shot I would just have to hold high on the chest (I think my average on 5 elk is like 16 yards so it's probably not an issue). My hold off will have to be a little more exact on mulies but not so much that 8 months worth of practice shouldn't make it bearable. Thanks again.

"What we do in this life echos an eternity"
Old 01-08-2003, 01:57 PM
pup

i like the idea of a 1 pin movable sight but the only problem i see is if you only have a quick shot you wont have time to ajust it.. i dont like the idea of aiming hi or low i like to know i am going to hit where the pin is aimed.

peta SUCKS
Old 01-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pup, you could leave it set at a reasonable range, where it won't be any different that a single fixed pin sight. Hopefully no one is taking quick shots at longer ranges, where these pins show the most potential...

Old 01-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pup, you could leave it set at a reasonable range, where it won't be any different that a single fixed pin sight. Hopefully no one is taking quick shots at longer ranges, where these pins show the most potential...

Old 01-08-2003, 03:00 PM
pup

good point.. the only time i will take a long quick shot is on a turkey i only shoot them in the head so it dead or miss.. any of you used the IMPACT ARCHERY COSMIC BOW SIGHT it looks like a good sight to me..

peta SUCKS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.