Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

problems with groups

Old 01-04-2003, 06:12 PM

Default problems with groups

i bought some 6075 gametracker terminator hunters today. after shooting my mckenzie 3-D target i have found i shot to the left for some reason. i have changed the sight so i would be on and find i get one or two in where they are supposed to go. but the other 3 go to the left. not far, still in vitals or sometimes just missing the lung and hitting shoulder.
is there something i could be doing wrong in the process before shooting?

Old 01-04-2003, 10:11 PM

Default RE: problems with groups

Here is what I would do in your situation: Number each of your arrows so you know which ones are consistently flying astray. I use a permanent felt tip marker to mark numbers (or pips) on a vane. If certain arrows are not consistently grouping with the others, you can identify them easily and can determine if you have an equipment problem. If there is no pattern as to which arrows are out of the group, then it is probably a shooting form problem.

Check for vane contact with the rest. 90% of my grouping problems have been due to rest clearance problems. I use spray on foot powder for this. A group of new arrows may not have all their nocks 'indexed' exactly the same so check for nock alignment.

You may have a few arrows in your batch that may never group with the others due to differences in spine or straightness.

HuntingNet Member since Spring 2001
Old 01-05-2003, 03:31 AM

what about the rest not being lined up?

Old 01-05-2003, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quilly , being that your just getting into archery , I would suggest working strictly on your form before putting much attention on equipment adjustments. Assumeing you had your rest installed at a proshop , everything should be set correctly. What your describing (shooting to the left occasionally) sounds like it could be a anchor problem. Work on getting good form with a rock solid anchor first and everything will fall into place.
What do you use for an anchor point? Example: I use a kisser button in the corner of my mouth , the tip of my nose on the string , and my release hand on the bottom of my jaw. All of these little things help in achieving a consistant anchor point. It's alot like bowling , you work on form , then work on doing the same exact thing on every shot.
Hope this helps!

<---Doug---<<<
Old 01-05-2003, 05:42 AM

BOWFANATIC....

i use the same things as you. a kisser button, tip of nose on string and release on bottom of jaw.
maybe a stabilizer might cure this problem?

Old 01-05-2003, 01:39 PM

bowfanatic,i did notice today when i got done shooting at 20yds and then 30yds. that my arrows where in a slight slant entering the target. if you looked at the target. the arrows looked like they came from the right . if that means anything.

Old 01-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quilly , it sounds like you might not have the correct spine for your arrows. That would be my first guess if your arrows are angling in the target. After that I would look at your setup. Is your rest set at center shot , nock set at 1/8&quot; high? Do you have a good proshop to help you with setup? I would normally paper tune when all the above is done , but I dont reccomend paper tuning to new archers. Paper tuning should wait until you get good solid form consistantly. If you tell me your setup (bow,poundage,rest,sight,release,arrows) I may be able to help your arrow spine.

Oh yeah , I would reccomend a stabilizer , especially if your bow is short and light. It wont fix the problem you currently have , but it does help in stabilizing your bow arm to hold the pin steady.

Edited by - bowfanatic on 01/05/2003 15:14:18
Old 01-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-05-2003, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's another simple check I didn't see anyone had mentioned. Try spinning each arrow in a jig. I do this with every carbon arrow I get in a dozen. Check both ends, nock & tip for straightness. For some reason I always find 2-4 carbons in the bunch that are not perfectly straight, and toss them aside, because no matter what you do to your bow or form. They'll never fly true.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:31 PM

first off. i would like to thank everyone here for all your help with getting me set.

i have a HOYT cybertech 2002 bow. with XT2000 limbs. a quick tune 1000 rest, a tru ball stinger release. a tru glow 5 pin ( took 2 off just in case one of others breaks )i have it set at 64# i am using #6075's carbon express gametracker terminator hunters. W/100gr. filed tips.

from me looking down the shafts i have noticed that they seem alright to me.not relaxing when i turn them at all. i also checked to see if the vanes are hitting the rest. they are all clear.

tommorrow night or tuesday i will bring it up to a place near me to see what they think and say about it.

as far as the 2 in 3 out deal. the first one is dead on. the second one is right next to it. then the third and forth are off to the left and about 6&quot; away from the other two. as for it being jacked up to #62 it dosn't bother me at all.actually just right. i shot for 3 houts today and no problems with tiring.but seem to tell ( kinda like when you know you pulled the trigger on a gun and know you pulled it to the right or left )but can kinda feel me pulling to the left a bit.
probally shoot 5 arrows within 2 mins apart from each other not rushing at all maybe hoping to catch myself doing something wrong.nose touching the string. release at bottom of jaw.kisser button at corner of mouth. plus it feels real comfortable pulling this bow back. goes right to all those anchor points.

Quick Reply: problems with groups

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.