Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech shooters- speed vs. smooth?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bowtech shooters- speed vs. smooth?

Ive only shot speed mod, I accually thought it was the smooth until I asked the guy at the shop what the difference was. When I showed him my bow he said it was speed mod. It is a little difficult to let down if you cant get a good shot, but with all the letoff I just hold it until I get that good shot.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 AM

There is definitely a bit of difference, but not a significant one. The speed mods ramp up a bit faster and the valley is smaller, but I don't find it very difficult to deal with.

Personally, I own both sets. I'll shoot the speed mods during the August/September seasons when its warm and easy to draw. I'll swap those out for the smooth mods in November when its cold and I'm wearing bulky/restricting clothing.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I've been shooting really well with the speed mods I put on. I think I'm gonna keep em on and start that way this year. I also feel like if I misjudge a distance, I will have slightly more leeway with the speed module.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:54 PM
Fork Horn

I just got the smooth mods. My draw length needed to be shortened a bit and they didnt have the next size smaller in speed mod. I tried the smooth mod and its ok. Im getting the speed mod when they get a shipment in, but I wasnt about to just let my bow sit until they arrive. I prefer the harshness as well I guess. And just to be sure I dont get bashed about having too long of draw length, my string settled a tiny bit, but enough to change my accuracy. I think my draw must be about 27.75 or something cuz 28 was a hair too long and the new 27.5 is a bit short on me.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

My tomkat came with the smooth cams and I had to take the fast mods to change my DL. I just noticed that the smooth mods broke over gradually and the fast cams have more of a certain point where they go over. I think if you're ego can handle it and you turn down your poundage, the difference gets smaller and less noticable.
About drawing, I don't feel much difference but when you draw down it kinda jerks.
I do prefer the fast mods but as Washington states, you could do better
with the smooth mods if times get colder and harsher.

F.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why not spend the $15 and get both? Then you can shoot plenty of shots and figure out which ones you like better.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both. I use the smooth mods because i like the draw. I will put the speed ones in only for moose hunting which is the only time I look for more speed as the shots are longer.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:25 AM

Bowtechs are fast? I did'nt know!lmao