Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feather Shooters

Old 08-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Feather Shooters

For you who shoot feathers, I've heard that the waterproofing powders work for a light rain, but don't hold up in a heavy rain. Do you carry one or two arrows with you that are fletched with vanes "just in case" or is there some other trick to keep the feathers from getting soaked?
Old 08-16-2007, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Feather Shooters

Use Goose feathers
Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some fletched with blazers for inclement weather.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mine don't shoot any different whether the feathers are soaked, versus when they're dry. I put that powder stuff on them - but it wears off, and they wind up getting drenched anyway, from time to time.

Go soak one down and shoot it. See for yourself. It won't hurt anything.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like a good idea, I think I'll try that. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:05 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Mine don't shoot any different whether the feathers are soaked, versus when they're dry. I put that powder stuff on them - but it wears off, and they wind up getting drenched anyway, from time to time.

Go soak one down and shoot it. See for yourself. It won't hurt anything.
I have tried it and up to 25 yards or so, I agree. But arrowflight is definatley changed beyond with broadheads. And they won't bounce back in shape easily or at all.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, sounds like a plan. I'll give it a try, and thanks for the advice. After shooting feathers for a while, I have no desire to go back to anything else. They bond to the shaft better than anything else, they're forgiving, they're acccurate and they increase the FOC %.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have tried it and up to 25 yards or so, I agree. But arrowflight is definatley changed beyond with broadheads. And they won't bounce back in shape easily or at all.
So, ifI limitmy shots to a distance of 25 yds then do you see wet feathers as a problem?
Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

So, ifI limitmy shots to a distance of 25 yds then do you see wet feathers as a problem?
well, it is for me. I sure don't love refletching arrows. And after they get soaking wet, seems, you need too. I know some guys can get them to bounce back with steam. I never had luck doing that. But when I met you, you seemed to say you like building arrows, so it sounds like its no problem for you.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

[well, it is for me. I sure don't love refletching arrows. And after they get soaking wet, seems, you need too. I know some guys can get them to bounce back with steam. I never had luck doing that. But when I met you, you seemed to say you like building arrows, so it sounds like its no problem for you.
LOL yeah, I don't mind working on arrows . Now that I have been using tape on the feathers it is easy on and easy off. I also read somewhere that a blowdryer could bring wet feathers "back to life". Sounds like more experimenting LOL

Quick Reply: Feather Shooters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.