Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Feather Shooters

Old 08-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Feather Shooters

Anyone who can't get steam to refresh their feathers simply isn't doing it right. I've been using that trick for many, many years and it has NEVER failed to work.

When you get out of the rain, put the arrow between your palms and briskly spin it back and forth to get the excess water out. Actually, I do that technique in tournaments when I have to shoot in the rain, to get out the excess water and make the feathers stand up better. Anyway, after you've done each wet arrow that way, stand them up to dry overnight.

Then run the feathers through steam. Best is through the steam coming from the spout of a tea kettle because you can direct the steam right where you want it, but holding them over a pot of rapidly boiling water will work fine. It'll just take a little longer. When the steam hits them, they zip right back into shape just like brand new.

But it's best to keep them dry and I don't like relying solely on waterproofing. Waterproofing agents aren't 100% effective. A smart hunter carries a plastic bag, like a gallon size freezer bag or maybe a small trash bag, to put over his feathers and keep them dry. Don't take out an arrow until you're ready to nock it and shoot.

Waterproofers will protect the feathers for that minute or two before the shot pretty easily, maybe even an hour if it's just a light drizzle, but you can't expect them to last all day.

I use Scotchguard spray for waterproofing. Or the cheapest hairspray I can find, usually White Rain.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Scotchguard spray for waterproofing. Or the cheapest hairspray I can find, usually White Rain.
Holy crap, Arthur! My mom used to use that stuff, and it stinks something awful!
So, why won't Scotchguard keep them dry?

Old 08-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like I said, it will keep them dry for a little while. But nothing will keep feathers from getting wet if you allow them to soak for several hours.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always shot feathers and the absolute bestwaterproofer I ever used is Bohning Dri-Tite.It's a liquid that's applied with a small brush and this stuff works great! I put some on my fletchings once and ran the arrow under my bathroom faucet and the feathers looked as good as the day I put them on
Old 08-16-2007, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I was shooting competition, where you had to shoot in anyweather conditions, I sprayed my fletching with hair spray to keep them as dry as possible. My back up arrows in my quiver were covered with a plastic zip lock bag. I don't archery hunt in heavy rain since the blood trail can be washed away long before the animal expires and the possibility of not finding the animal are unacceptable.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't archery hunt in heavy rain since the blood trail can be washed away long before the animal expires and the possibility of not finding the animal are unacceptable.
Now that is something that hadn't crossed my mind, but makes perfect sense. I tested the wet arrow theory this afternoon, and I posted the results in the bowhunting forum, but you make a VERY good point, Sniper. Thanks for that advice.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I also use hair spray(unscented) but apply it early in the year.

Never had a problem with water deforming my feathers to the point they wouldn't shoot accurately and I have soaked them on purpose.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 AM

At hunting distances, wet feathers are not a problem. I don't waterproof mine or put baggies over them or anything else. Although, the steaming trick does work nicely, afterwards. Like others mentioned, who hunts in the pouring rain? A blood trail is simply not going to be there.

Maybe mine fly so well because I always use 5" applied with a helical. Whatever the reason, I make it a point to practice in hard rains, and never have a problem, and I do it with broadheads attached.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use bohning fletch dry powder , dont hunt in a pouring rain , and the ziplock bag works great pinched inbetween the arrows around the fletch .

I used to use steam also , now if my feathers get soaked with blood and need washed off I just use a hair dryer , it works great .
Old 08-17-2007, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wet feathers dont really effect flight much, if you go up to the bowhunting forum, there was a test done, and results will suprise you, not only that I know from experience as many of us here do.

Quick Reply: Feather Shooters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.