Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Why do you use blazers?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Why do you use blazers?

After reading another thread about using blazers with a helical I was just wondering why you use blazers on your arrows? I have used them but find that feathers give me more control and weigh less, even with four feathers fletched. The blazers are a little more durable when shooting groups at shorter ranges but not so much as to make the indespensible. I can see the advantage of blazers over 4" vanes but after that I don't really seean advantage over other fletchingsand, if I were to use a vane on my hunting arrows, I would probably go with NAP quickspins instead of blazers.

So, why do you use them? Are you seeking more control with less weight than a 4" vane or is there another reason?
Old 08-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why do you use blazers?

Durable, quiet and it shoots great with broadheads.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:39 AM
bigcountry

Because bohning sent them to me for free

I had to try them, but getting some sort of cleanance issues with them since they are taller.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

I used to shoot feathers and I agree that they are certainly prettier and more forgiving of fletching contact issues.

I switched primarily for 2 reasons (broadhead control was not one of them).
1) Feathers make more noise when accidentally rubbed aganst something either while stalking in or on stand
2) RAIN!

I know that there are a number of great products out there for waterproofing feathers, however after getting stuck hunting multiple consecutive days in the rain, my feathers, while still standing up, picked up enough water between the barbs that my arrows hit low at 20 yards......really low at 30.....you get the picture.

Since switching I have also identified another real benefit to the blazers. My arrows maintain more downrange energy at distances greater than about 35 yards.
All of the great broadhead steering ability of feathers comes at a price. That price is drag. Inside 35 yards, feathers and blazers hit essentially the same point of impact. Beyond 35, the extra drag of the feathers causes them to bleed off speed faster and thus drop more.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 AM

What everyone else said, and they look cool!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

All of the great broadhead steering ability of feathers comes at a price. That price is drag. Inside 35 yards, feathers and blazers hit essentially the same point of impact. Beyond 35, the extra drag of the feathers causes them to bleed off speed faster and thus drop more.
If the sight is set up correctly why would this matter? You will still hit where you aim.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:00 AM

With loss of speed you would loosea lot more KE at the longer distances. Just guessing here though.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, if your guessing, what is your guess at the speed loss (FPS)difference between feathers and blazers and loss of KE difference between feathers and blazers?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 AM
bigcountry

I used to use feathers. But a trip or two in teh rain changes my mind a little. I still use feathers with my longbow and recurves.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 AM

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

OK, if your guessing, what is your guess at the speed loss (FPS)difference between feathers and blazers and loss of KE difference between feathers and blazers?
Im sorry, but I don't even have a ballpark on the KE. But, for the loss of speed I would have to say 5-10 FPS past 30 yards.

Quick Reply: Why do you use blazers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.