Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

SIGHT MAX'D...STILL SHOOTING HIGH...CHATTER ON REST

Old 08-16-2007, 06:33 AM

Default SIGHT MAX'D...STILL SHOOTING HIGH...CHATTER ON REST

JUST GOT THE NEW HOYT VECTRIX, USING THE 4 PIN G5 OPTIX ME, AND A QUICKTUNE DROP AWAY. WITHALL EQUIPTMENTCENTERED AND SUCH, AND WITH MY PEEP AND KISSER IN THE MOST COMFORTABLE POSITION FOR ME AT FULL DRAW, MY SIGHT IS MAXED OUT TOP ENDAND I'M STILL SHOOTING ABOUT 4-5 INCHES HIGH. MY LOCAL ARCHERY GUY TOLD ME I WILL NEED TO LOWER THE KISSER AND PEEP TO GET IT SHOOTING CORRECTLY, BUT IT DOES NOT FEEL COMFORTABLE TO ME IN THAT POSITION. WHAT CAN I DO TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?? I HAVE HAD SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH MY 2 PREVIOUS HIGH COUNTRY BOWS, BUTNOT TO THE EXTENT OF TOTALLY MAXING OUT THE SIGHT. IF ANYONE KNOWS SOMETHING I CANDO TO FIX THISI WOULD GREATLYAPPRECIATE HEARING IT.

ALSO, THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I USED A STRING LOOP FOR MY RELEASE AND I AM GETTING CHATTER ON THE REST WHEN DRAWING BACK. ANY ADVICE OR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE WILL HELP GREATLY.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: SIGHT MAX'D...STILL SHOOTING HIGH...CHATTER ON REST

Welcome to the forums, LESKOVIC. My first piece of advice is turn off the caps lock. It's hard on the eyes to read something in all caps. It also means you are shouting and it's considered very impolite on the forums.

Now, to your problem. Seems to me from what you say, your anchor is already too low and needs to be raised up, which will make your peep and kisser higher and allow you to bring the front sight down. But we have to find out if that's possible. Describe where and how you anchor.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:26 AM

Thanks for letting me know about the Caps Lock.
I anchor my kisser on the corner of my mouth..... so if i raisemy anchor point i will be raising my release hand, which in turn will let me shoot lower, correct?? What else can iuse for an anchor point?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

With the kisser in the corner of your mouth, then I guess your anchor is right under the jaw line. That's okay for someone with a short face but for those of us with a longer face - longer distance from the jaw to the eye - it's too low.

I anchor with the big knuckle at the base of the index finger buried in behind my jaw, right at the ear lobe. Palm facing away from my face. There's a little pocket right there that's just right for my knuckle to snuggle neatly into.

That should raise your anchor by a couple of inches. Hopefully it'll be just as comfortable for you. Otherwise you'll have to try and find a sight with more vertical travel. Or you could take your bow to a machine shop and get new sight mounting holes drilled and tapped - but that will void your warranty, so beware of going that route.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have a problem that just lowering the kisser and peep isn't going to solve. You do need to raise your anchor and relocate the kisser and peep. The problem is that when doing this the kisser is going to be drawn past the corner of your mouth. The only way you can cure this correctly is with a shorter draw length cam or twist the string up to shorten the one you have.

The peep is not a problem. It'll will fit almost anywhere you put it. The only difference being that as you slide it down the string it will be slightly closer to your eye. So if you like to bracket your sight guard then you may need a smaller peep aperture.

The only decent optionI see is getting rid of the kisser button and just use the peep. It's not the right way to do it, but it may work for you. Personally, I'd opt for the cam change and go about 1" shorter.

This is one reason I hardly ever agree on getting a bow that is draw length specific. You really have very little room for adjustment.

You already have the bow so this is just my take on the situation.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:26 AM

BGfisher:
Thanks for the info. I just got the bow a couple days ago, it took me about 3 trips to the archery shop to figure out exactly what draw lengthI wanted. I'm shooting 29" now, and it is very comfortable at full draw,I tried 28, and 28.5 andthey just did not feel right so I dont think going shorter would do me any good.(even though it would solve my problem). I am going to try it out without my kisser, using a different anchor pointto see how it feels, hopefully it works out. I think my only other option would be some type of bracket to raise my whole sight up so i can get the pins higher and bring my shots down. Thanks again for the help.....
Old 08-17-2007, 05:38 AM

Why did you have to figure out your draw lenght? Any good archery pro shop is going to measure your draw lenght for you.Maybe the root of your problems start here...Bob
Old 08-17-2007, 06:33 AM

My measured draw length has always felt a bit short, so that to me was a problem in itself. In my opinionI would rather shoot what feels comfortable to me, rather than what someone "tells" me should feel comfortable. Don't you agree ?
Either way my problem is solved....
The G5 Optix ME sight base can be flipped over, so now i have a lot more room to play with on the top end of the sight.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

The G5 Optix ME sight base can be flipped over...
We learn something new every day. Glad you got 'er whupped.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LESKOVIC

My measured draw length has always felt a bit short, so that to me was a problem in itself. In my opinionI would rather shoot what feels comfortable to me, rather than what someone "tells" me should feel comfortable. Don't you agree ?
Either way my problem is solved....
The G5 Optix ME sight base can be flipped over, so now i have a lot more room to play with on the top end of the sight.
Glad to see you figured something out. I guess I should have suggested moving the whole sight bracket, but I'm not familar with all the newer sights on the market. I mean, who can keep up with all this stuff?

Good shooting and have a good hunting season.