Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning nightmare

Old 08-12-2007, 05:09 PM
bigcountry

Default Tuning nightmare

This is just another lesson for us all. Well me. I don't know what you call them, the hex head screws on my bowtech that goest thru the riser to I guess secure the limb in its pocket is critical!!!!

Long story short, I noticed accuracy went downhill and arrow flight, I could see doign all kinds of crazy stuff Friday evening. I have been meaning to recheck my idler wheel lean. Since the cable is new and figured let it settle in.

Well Sat, I work on the yokes, straightening out my idler wheel. It was leaning after a new cable. After that, I had a bad nock left tear, and poor arrow flight the whole weekend.In consistent tears all over the place. I tried paper tuning, retiming my MZE, french tuning, walk back, broadhead tuning. Spine tuning my arrows.Just didn't make any sense. How could 350 carbon express edges be weak spined which is typical of nock left tear?? I dropped my wieght down 6lbs, no change.Maybe even worse. put lipstick my fleches,sprayed foot powder on my fletch. No clearnace issues? After 3 hours yesterday and4 hours today, I was about ready to give up. I was getting ready to put the idler wheel leaning back to cable guard.

I then noticed that loose screw on the riser going into to limb. Tightened it up, and bullet holes. Went out and microtuned my rest with broadheads at 50 yards and now all is ok.

I would have never thought that hex headed screw made such a difference in flight.

Anyone else notice this?

Old 08-12-2007, 06:02 PM

Default RE: Tuning nightmare

that effects your tiller the distance from limb to sting one limb was looser then the other ....... tiller should be the same as well as axle to axle lenght to specs......
Old 08-12-2007, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a good catch big. I'll have to watch for that in the future.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:53 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: jamaltwy

that effects your tiller the distance from limb to sting one limb was looser then the other ....... tiller should be the same as well as axle to axle lenght to specs......
I wouldn't wish this problem on anyone. I just measured my tiller with a string stretched from the ends of my limbs and they are equal within 1/16" of an inch. Wonder if I have to adjust anything?

Old 08-13-2007, 04:15 AM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I wouldn't wish this problem on anyone. I just measured my tiller with a string stretched from the ends of my limbs and they are equal within 1/16" of an inch. Wonder if I have to adjust anything?
From your description, I can't figure out what screw was loose, but tiller does not have to be even. Your nock height must be adjusted to whatever tiller you have and some bows (cams) shoot with a straighter nock travel with a particular tiller. 1/16" difference is not much, and if your nock height is correct for that position, then you're all set.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 AM

not the limb bolt, but the little locking screw you loosen before adjusting the limb bolt, the one on the side of the limb pocket is the one he's referring to i believe.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:58 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: gibblet

not the limb bolt, but the little locking screw you loosen before adjusting the limb bolt, the one on the side of the limb pocket is the one he's referring to i believe.
Thats the one. I can repeat it over and over. If that is loose, bad things happen.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

That's a good catch big. I'll have to watch for that in the future.
You know I got so sick and tired of hearing french tuning, french tuning from you. But I have to recant my thoughts some.I have to admit for fine tuning rests in fine increments, it worked wonderful this weekend. Itried it with broadheads, and then checked my broadheads hitting same as fields, and bam. But you have to feel good at your shots at 50-60 yards. If one is fatigued or extremely aggitated as I was with this loose lock screw, better wait until your fresh.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
You know I got so sick and tired of hearing french tuning, french tuning from you. But I have to recant my thoughts some.I have to admit for fine tuning rests in fine increments, it worked wonderful this weekend. Itried it with broadheads, and then checked my broadheads hitting same as fields, and bam. But you have to feel good at your shots at 50-60 yards. If one is fatigued or extremely aggitated as I was with this loose lock screw, better wait until your fresh.
[/quote]

LMAO SometimesI feel like a broken record about that and hate pushing it all the time.I just hate hearing about people paper tuning and then wondering why their bow is still off.

I had the same problems with my BH's 2 weekends ago. They were off and I could have sworn that my bow was in tune. Went back to the range a few days later shot through paper (which I know i say doesn't prove much butjust wanted a quick look)and it looked good. However,I still felt like something was wrong so I checked my sight in at 4 yds and then went back to 50 and and darn if myrest wasn't off by the smallest amount.

I totally agree about what you are saying about feeling good about your shots. If you are tired or shooting bad groups trying to French tune can be a real pain in the a$$.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad it worked out for you and good luck this season.