Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

New to bow hunting busted it already.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Default New to bow hunting busted it already.

Hi, like most first time posts I need advice or help. I was given an old compound bow made by Indian it says 45 to 55lb and 30 inch draw it seems to have been stored for a long time without much use. But first time out in the back yard I broke the end off the cable. It is a small alloy anchor shaped thing where the string hooks onto the cable. Suggestions please.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New to bow hunting busted it already.

Find an archery pro shop near you and have them take a look at your bow. Almost no compound bows today still use the steel cable with teardrop connectors like the one you are describing.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:38 PM

Archery shops aren't real thick on the ground here, Nearest large city is Brisbane 17hours drive south. I'm hoping for a fix that Ican do buy buying parts by mail.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like your e-clip came off the end of the post.

Shane
Old 08-12-2007, 01:21 AM

What is an e clip, ans is that good news or bad please explain
Old 08-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

if the tear drop came off the cable i think its gonna be hard to repair. indian archery parts are gonna be hard to find. i shot my first deer with an indian bow from sears. is the tear drop in one piece? i think they are crimped onto the cable. if you re- crimp the part back on it may come loose again and probably be dangerous to shoot. i would email some repair shops to get an opinion on what you can do. ask around. dont know but i wonder if you could take the cable and string and measure its full length and make or purchase a long one piece cable and string so its all one big piece so you dont need the cable and seperate string. keep asking around im sure someone knows.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

An e-clip fits on the axles that your cams are mounted on. It is shaped somewhat like an anchor. This pic should give you the idea.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 AM

Thanks for the Picture of an E clip. It's definately not that. I seem to be missing the alloy cable tip which the string hooks on to. does any one know here I can buy one or can you tell me the correct name for it so I can search for one.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:04 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: michael30.06

Thanks for the Picture of an E clip. It's definately not that. I seem to be missing the alloy cable tip which the string hooks on to. does any one know here I can buy one or can you tell me the correct name for it so I can search for one.
You're talking about the double sided end of the cable? It's what the string attaches to right?

Just so we are on the same page, the string is the one made from fibers, the cables are steel wrapped in a plastic coating (like an electrical wire). Those ends, believe it or not are made like that so you could replace the string without a press. You would simply draw the bow and someone (or if you were really crafty you could do it yourself) would connect the new string to the ends not in use, you let down the draw and re-draw with the new string you just attached and your buddy(or you) takes off the old/worn one and voilĂ* you have just replaced your string.

If it's one of those ends that has broken off, I'm sorry but you will have to replace the cable. I would suggest measuring it and then you can go on line or call different shops to see if anyone has one in that length.

Be prepared for a lot of research because most (if not all) bows today have ditched the metal cables for synthetic ones (like the string)

Good luck