Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

ARROW LENGTH

Old 08-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default ARROW LENGTH

EVERYTHING I HAVE READTELLS ME TO CUT MY NEW ARROWS 1" PAST THE MOST FORWARD POINT OF CONTACT ON MY REST. FOC BECOMES AN ISSUE AND I GUESS TO LITTLE IS JUST AS BAD AS TO MUCH. MY QUESTION IS CAN YOU STILL MAINTAIN THE SAME ACCURACY IF YOU EXTEND YOUR ARROW PAST THAT POINT??? ANYONE TRIED DIFFERENT LENGTHS PAST THE REST TO SEE IF IT AFFECTED THEIR ACCURACY AND YET STILL MAINTAINED CORRECT FOC RANGE AND MINIMUM TOTAL WEIGHT.

MY ARROWS WOULD HAVE TO BE CUT TO 26.5". WITH MY BOW SETAT #70.

ANY AND ALL INPUTS WOULD BEAPPRECIATED. THANKS
Old 08-10-2007, 08:08 PM

Default RE: ARROW LENGTH

There are different views on this. I cut mine 1'' past the rest, ands then fine tune the arrow to the bow and vice versa. From what I have read having a high front of center is actually better. Some people on here actually have it at 25% FOC.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Fork Horn

Mine stick out about 1" pass the riser. I try to stay in the 5 grain per pound for my 70# DW and mine is at 370gr., FOC at 16% and get about 55 KE. Before cutting the arrow calculatethe spine, weight and FOC to see if it is right for your bow and what you are looking for. As far accuracy goes, if your arrow is right for your bow and the bow is tune, you'll find that accuaracy will come along just fine.
Old 08-11-2007, 08:45 PM

I have my arrows cut 1/4" in front of my rest. I have used arrows that go as much as 2.75" in front of my rest.

The most important thing about arrow length is obtaining and maintaining the correct spine for your setup.

IMO a FOC that is over 15% is a waste of resources. At that point, you start to lose a ton of speed. By losing speed, then you lose your longer distance shooting. You increase your #'s of pins and then have to become more accurate in judging distances.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER

IMO a FOC that is over 15% is a waste of resources. At that point, you start to lose a ton of speed. By losing speed, then you lose your longer distance shooting. You increase your #'s of pins and then have to become more accurate in judging distances.

A LOT of people on this site are going to argue you on that point, I hope you know that. We have had a lot of debate on FOC and arrow weight lately.

Keep in mind that the proper arrow length being 1 inch past the contact point on your rest is based on you having the rest in the proper location to begin with. Which is right above your grip. Many of the newer rests are not designed this way and have a slight overdraw to them. Like the WB rests and many of the drop a way rests. This would give you an arrow that could be up to an inch too short or more in some cases.

AMO arrow length would be 3/4 of an less than your draw length.

It really doesn't matter what length arrow you shoot though, as long as the spine is correct. I shoot longer arrows than I need, because I like a certain arrow and that is the length I need to get the spine correct for my set up. I have also shot 21 inch arrows before out of my target bow. They shot just fine.

Paul
Old 08-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MDBUCKHUNTER
I'm over the 15% FOC and I don't lose a TON of speed, around 6-7 Fps the last time I chorno. I'm not a speed fanatic so I don't worry too much about speed. Having a higher FOC makes my arrow more forgiving in windy situations or whenI didn't see that little branch sticking out. I have 2 pins only (that's not alot) and they are set at 25 and 35 yards and I shoot out to 45 yards, no problems. I've seen people shooting faster bow and they double the pins I have, makes me go hmmmmm. If you are have problems judging distance, shoot your bow more and get to know your yards.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 3/4" or 1" past the riser came from the days before shoot through risers. Now it's a matter of how comfortable you are with having a BH over your hand or trying to get proper spine. I use a 27" arrow out w/ a 30" DL to get a spine that is close with the GT XT Hunter 7595 w/ a 125 gr tip.

Accuracy is a matter of shooting form. With a lot of the very fast bows it's easy to make a small error in form and it affects the arrows a great deal.

Higher FOC arrows maintain momentum longer down range compared to a lower FOC arrow. This helps them psuh through wind better. However, that does not mean they are more accurate.

A higher FOC arrow will not go through branches better than a low FOC arrow. The blades hit the branch and either way it's getting deflected. That thought process goes with the old belief that a heavy bullet will bust thorugh brush better. However, a BH isn't round on the end nad has blades that catch on the branch.

Paul,

How short is your DL that you shot 21" arrows?

Number of pins is a preference that has nothing to do with how much practice you do or how fast your bow is. I used to shoot 1 pin on my old bow and now shoot 5 pins on a bow that is a lot faster. I practice about twice a week and shoot out to 60 yds some times. It was a personal preference.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:04 PM

25-26 inches depending on the bow, how it's configured and the release I use. I'm a little guy. So shooting that short of an arrow is only like a 3 inch or so overdraw for me. I did it with a Muzzy ZE set as far back as I could get it on my Darton Yukon.

1714's with 5 inch feathers and target tips. Looked pretty crazy, but worked alright. A couple people laughed until I robin hooded two of them during practice. I only had 45 lbs of draw weight as well. I didn't use them very long though, just that one night. Not a whole lot of line cutting ability with 17/64 diameter arrow.

I was always screwing around like that though when I shot spots, my score reflected it as well.

Paul
Old 08-14-2007, 04:38 AM

Longer arrows are not a problem. I have some that are 32.5" with my 29" draw length. They shoot perfectly. It's only important that they spine well.

FOC does not have a correct range. Higher equals more forgiveness. As long as the arrow spines well for the tip weight, you can't go too high.

FOC is not related to arrow speed. FOC is the percentage of weight on the front of the arrow. You can have a 400 grain arrow with an FOC of 15% and a 500 grain arrow with an FOC of 13%. The heavier arrow will drop the most, not the one with the highest FOC.

While hunting, it's easy to know your distances. Don't guess. I'm shooting an FOC of 25% at this time and there is no way I'm missing anything inside of 30 yards - even if I don't know the distance. I've never shot at a whitetail over 25 yards in 37 years of bowhunting.

The higher my FOC, the more accurate I shoot at real long distances.

Personally, I like real high FOCs and heavy arrows. The heavy arrows are probably not quite as important with moderate sized game like whitetail, but I still like the advantages they give me.