Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Do you shoot with both eyes open?

Old 08-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you shoot with both eyes open?

i like shooting with both eyes closed....it helps me not get nervouse after i draw back on a monster monster kingdaddy deer
Old 08-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Alpha Capo

i like shooting with both eyes closed....it helps me not get nervouse after i draw back on a monster monster kingdaddy deer
LMAO

Maybe I need to start that routine myself.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

seriously shoot with both open...if you shoot with one closed currently...start shooting with both eyes open and break that one eye habit.

it will take a day or two to get used to but youll be bettr off..

im lefty, when i got my first serious compound16 years ago.....i wasalmost 10 yrs old it was a left handed model....couldnt figure out why i had to move my sight pins all the way out for a few weeks(no peep)to come close to what i was aiming at(even with them all the way out i wasnt close if i put my pin on the target, so i had to horizontal gap shoot with my pins)....found out i was right eye dominate and ended up shooting with a patch over my right eye for about ayear... untill i decided that it sucked and ended up trading the bow back for a right handed model and learning how to shoot all over again.

all im saying is from my experience shooting with one eye was worse than learning how to shoot oposite hand....
why anyone would want 50% vision baffles me????

ive always aimed with both eyes open(besides that stint with the patch)...its more natural. the funny thing is when i started shooting gunat about 11 i naturally shot right handed....same way with the Guitar ... i guess im ambidextrious...but i hold my fork andwrite with my left hand
Old 08-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

i wonder if a guy can train his mind to switch dominate eyes?????...its probably possible.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot with both eyes open. I think I always have. But I went to an area bowshop on Saturday and shot their video range, and while shooting there I had to close my left eye in order to see both my pin and the target. I think it had to do with shooting from a relatively dark area into a very bright video screen. It didn't change my shot placement, though. That's probably a result of my perfect form!
A couple years ago when I got glasses, my poi was about 6" left when wearing the glasses. So I dialed it back in and always shoot with glasses now.
Brian
Old 08-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have always shot both eyes open. I shoot shotguns and pistols the same way. Heck, I only squint when I shoot a scoped rifle.

As others have written, your depth percetion, range reckoning, and balance are all at their prime when you are using both eyes. Just close one eye and see how balanced you feel just standing in your living room. Now, climb up 20 feet on a platform the size of a pizza box, and maybe even add a little wind blowing the tree back and forth.... see where I'm going?

Also... both eyes allow you to see twice as well at low light as just one eye. Your un-aided eye gathers like better than anything else! Trust me here. If you want to compare your rifle scope to your eye... just put your scope on the lowest setting and view a target right at dark... then take an old paper towel tube, and do the same.... its an optical illusion... nothing picks up light better than your eye.

The peep sight is only there to make sure your head is in the same position, relative to the bow and target each time you shoot. The "rear" sight on any shooting system is really your eye itself. Even rear sights on firearms are just there to ensure head/eye position.