Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

best arrrow set up

Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default best arrrow set up

I have been looking at getting new arrows and broadheads, but I am looking at stuff and there are so many different weights for both arrows and broadheads, Basically what I am looking for is the fastest most accurate flight posible.with the least amount of drop as posible.
I am shooting a 70# draw bow at a 29" draw with my arrows cut at 30 1/2", Thanks for any and all info
John
Old 08-09-2007, 04:38 AM

Default RE: best arrrow set up

Basically what I am looking for is the fastest most accurate flight posible. with the least amount of drop as posible.
There is no such thing. The "most accurate flight possible" comes from arrows that have a high FOC. This builds in stability when shooting a broadhead in adverse conditions that occur while hunting. Arrows with a high FOC will not have "the least amount of drop as possible".

You choose one at the expense of the other. Personally, I don't care about drop, since I will know the distance I'm shooting. When the distance is known, the high FOC arrow will be the easiest one to hit the target with.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:08 AM

I picked some information up off another forum that is proving quite accurate. They stated: The best ratio for speed vs. KE = 6.2 gpi x draw weight. Example 70# x 6.2 = 434 grain arrow, total weight with broadhead.

If you are shooting a30.5" arrow and say 100 gr. BH then you are looking for an arrow that is 10.9 gpi with insert and vanes.The accuracy part of your question depends on a whole lot more besides which arrow you shoot. Most important......you.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the arrow is spined properly and the bow tuned properly the shooter is the biggest issue.I have arrows from 390 grains to 435 grains and FOC from 9% to 12.8% the only difference in performance is me.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 AM

The accuracy part of your question depends on a whole lot more besides which arrow you shoot. Most important......you.
I used to think that and then I changed my mind after working with a lot of bowhunters and and many different arrow configurations. I can build an arrow where an experienced bowhunter would have a difficult time hitting a bale of hay at 20 yards with a broadhead attached. I can also take people who has never shot an arrow and get most hitting a 4-5" circle within 15 minutes, if I give them an arrow that matches their setup.

The right arrow can mean the difference of a foot or two and 20 yards. The right practice can make the difference of an inch or two at 20 yards.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

The accuracy part of your question depends on a whole lot more besides which arrow you shoot. Most important......you.
I used to think that and then I changed my mind after working with a lot of bowhunters and and many different arrow configurations. I can build an arrow where an experienced bowhunter would have a difficult time hitting a bale of hay at 20 yards with a broadhead attached. I can also take people who has never shot an arrow and get most hitting a 4-5" circle within 15 minutes, if I give them an arrow that matches their setup.

The right arrow can mean the difference of a foot or two and 20 yards. The right practice can make the difference of an inch or two at 20 yards.
Amen!!!! Ditto!!!!! I second that!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:14 AM
Spike

It seems that a lot of people like sounding smart and not really answering anyone's question. Could it be possible that John is looking for the fastestAND the most accurate flight possible? Meaning that he would want a forgiving arrow (high FOC)anda correctly spined arrow, but the lightest arrow that fits the two previous requirements. I don't mean to dog on anyone it's just that John has a legitimate request and so far no one has given him any information that will help him in his goal. I love this sight and have learned more in the last month that I've been visiting this forum than I learned in the previous 6 years of bowhunting. That said, I wish the experienced guys on here that know their stuff would not only critique the question but answer it to the best of their knowledge. I know Gold Tip has a super light arrow that seems to have a stiff spine but I'm not sure how it fairs in FOC. I like Easton Axis ST. They are thin so they have less suseptability to wind drift and they say that they provide excellent penetration (I will know if this is true when I go for some blackbuck next weekend, I'll probably shoot at 50 yds). You must realize however, that at 70# and a 30.5" arrow you will need somethine pretty stiff which weighs more. While I'm sure there are lighter arrows that will suffice for your setup, I reccomend Easton Axis ST. But if you really want speed, look at the Gold Tip. I think it has light in the title. Sorry for the long post, just my 2 cents.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

For what you are asking, I would think you would want something like a Gold Tip Ultralight (75-95)or Carbon Tech Cheetah (65-80). They will give you a stiffer arrow with lighter weight. Going with at least a 125 gr. point/broadhead will raise the FOC and make the arrow more stable. I also don't know why you are shooting a 30.5" arrow with a 29" draw. If you shorten it up some, the arrow will be stiffer, and you can add more point weight to again make it more stable like Straightarrow was talking about. Victory arrows make the HV series of light weight arrows as well. I am shooting the Cheetahs for 2 years now, and really like them. I am getting very good broadhead flight without loading up the point. I'll eventually get to doing that experiment, but I am set for this year and I'm not changing anything. My experience has also been that I am the biggest variable in broadhead accuracy. I do spin test each arrow/point though, and shoot Slick Trick heads.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The GT 7595's would be underspined atyour arrow length and a 125 gr tip @ 70 lbs and a 29" arrow.

You'd probably need a spine of .320 or stiffer from any manufacturer for an arrow that long and definitely with a 125 gr tip. You probably should the shorten the arrow as recommended by Joe PA if pssible with your bow.

My buddy has a 29" draw and uses a 28" arrow and 125 gr tip with the 7595 series and is slightly overpined for his Matthews. That same arrow for me is underspined for my Allegiance.

Old 08-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: CTJohnB

I have been looking at getting new arrows and broadheads, but I am looking at stuff and there are so many different weights for both arrows and broadheads, Basically what I am looking for is the fastest most accurate flight posible.with the least amount of drop as posible.
I am shooting a 70# draw bow at a 29" draw with my arrows cut at 30 1/2", Thanks for any and all info
John
Ok John.

Let me ask youa couple ofquestion before Idesign an arrow for you.

At what ranges are you going to be shooting? Is it going to be normal hunting ranges inside 30 yards or long range hunting and target shooting?

Now before I can run the program to come up with an arrow I will also need bow make, model and your preference to what weight head and fletching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.