Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Heavy carbon wanted for 63#

Old 08-07-2007, 02:26 PM

Default Heavy carbon wanted for 63#

My friend is shooting aprox. 63 lbs @ 29 inches. He wants to shoot the heaviest arrow possible without having spine issues. Any ideas?
Old 08-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Heavy carbon wanted for 63#

check out carbon express Terminator XP selects. 60/75s are 10.6gpi...got mine from Lancaster Archery supply

if you can still find them, cx terminator selects ran 11gp for black and 12gpi for camo

cx also makes a few others thats are 9+gpi..

Easton A/C super slims had some weight to them...think 10. something...pricey though

even pricier, Carbon Tech Rhino shafts are 11.5gpi...

alumanums are generally always heavier than the similar carbons..forget but i think they run roughly 12-13gpi..

theres always weight tubes...dont know how they effect spine though...

my finished XP selects 28" long with blazers and 125gr heads are going to run me about 430-440grains. not super heavy...but a bite heavier than most carbons are running..most run 8.5-9.5gpi it seems...

Old 08-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mauser06 beat me to it and has some better heavier options ^

If he is wanting carbon he needs to look at the camo ones, they usually weigh a little more than the all blacks.

An axis st in Mossy oak or real tree in 400 spine should be plenty heavy enough at 9.8 GPI. If he spines out at 340 he'd be looking at 10.3 gpi.

The full metal jackets are a touch heavier if he would consider a carbon/aluminum arrow.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Stinky

My friend is shooting aprox. 63 lbs @ 29 inches. He wants to shoot the heaviest arrow possible without having spine issues. Any ideas?
There are lots of good options. When using a heavy arrow, it's also important to use a heavy tip. Many manufacturers make an arrow in the 10-11 gr/in range. For instance, with Gold Tip, pick one of the stiff spine Hardwoods Camo patterned arrows. The Hardwood 7595s have a spine of .300 which will probably handle a 200 grain tip weight very easily. They weight 10.9 gr/in. This will get the arrow into the 550 grain area. By fine tuning tip weight (with goldtips brass insert adapters), and fine tuning arrow length, you can get the arrow to spine perfectly. The side benefits are a very high FOC (which will make the arrow fly with incredible forgiveness) and an arrow weight that will really pack a punch.

I'm currently using a very similar arrow setup and it flys incredibly well.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:02 AM

Straightarrow, with a similar setup that you just described, how many fps would you expect?
Old 08-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Another option for a really heavy carbon would be the Grizzlystik by Alaskan Bowhunting (www.alaskabowhunting.com)

I can't comment on the arrow quality, however the continuous tapered design has been a proven performer in very successful arrows such as Nitro Stingers.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Spike

carbo nech - RHINO'sthey are approx, 11.5gpi These are an excellent choice for a hunting shaft!
Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: mjhamel

Straightarrow, with a similar setup that you just described, how many fps would you expect?
What is the difference.. He will loose speed and gain momentum like you wouldn't believe. Ausie has been doing some test with 200 grain Muzzy Phanoms, and the penetration he's gained is unbelievable.

Now the only thing we are going to have to do with these heavy set ups is is practice with two broadhead targets, they will fly though a yellow jackets. Try that will a fast arrow and a light broadhead!

Oh, BTW using a heavy arrow without a heavy broadheadis asstupid asthinking you are going to hit a ball farther with a light bad, because you can swing it faster. Than a heavy bat that you swing slower!!!! ( no power ) simple law of physics.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:11 AM

IF YOU CHECK OUT EASTON SITE THE HAVE SOME NICE DOWNLOADS THAT CALC THE RIGHT AROW BUT THE ALSO HAVE ONE FOR INERTIA I HAVENT USED IT IN A WHILE BUT IT WORKED WELL CHECK IT OUT.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:21 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: trevwill

carbo nech - RHINO'sthey are approx, 11.5gpi These are an excellent choice for a hunting shaft!
I agree, if one can afford those suckers. Good arrows.

Quick Reply: Heavy carbon wanted for 63#

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.