Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Heavy carbon wanted for 63#

Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Default RE: Heavy carbon wanted for 63#

ORIGINAL: mjhamel

Straightarrow, with a similar setup that you just described, how many fps would you expect?
It will vary with the bow, but around 220 fps - give or take.

Just so you know, my opinion of speed is that it's by far the most overrated aspect of bowhunting. Know the distance and you'll have no problems. In fact, at longer distances, the heavier arrows with high FOC will fy with more consistancy in all conditions than lighter ones will. Forget about the speed. These moderately heavy arrows fly much faster than they need to.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Straightarrow, with a similar setup that you just described, how many fps would you expect?

Just so you know, my opinion of speed is that it's by far the most overrated aspect of bowhunting. Know the distance and you'll have no problems. In fact, at longer distances, the heavier arrows with high FOC will fy with more consistancy in all conditions than lighter ones will. Forget about the speed. These moderately heavy arrows fly much faster than they need to.
SA.

I cant agree more just maybe someday we will be able to educate people on high FOC but I am not holding my breathe

Old 08-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

SA.

I cant agree more just maybe someday we will be able to educate people on high FOC but I am not holding my breathe
It's a lost cause! The reason being, you have the blind leading the blind.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:00 AM

SA.

Ya know, it's funny. At the local shop where I spend a fair amount of time, I'm getting a good number switching to the heavy, high FOC arrows. Online, I get the impression that almost nobody pays any attention to it - holding your breath is not a good idea. I think the advantage at the shop is that they can see me shoot. When I slap a bareshaft against my fletched arrows at 40 yards, they get wide-eyed and start asking questions.

It also helps that I've gotten the shop owner to totally convert his setup to shoot the heavy, high FOC arrows. He's a great shot and the guys tend to shoot whatever he does. He has a 3d course, and I shoot in a league there. He tends to have the highest scores and is shooting anywhere from 30-70 fps slower than the others. Now, I'm the first to admit that speed is an advantage in 3d but he's just that good. However, when it comes to hunting, the advantage goes to stable arrows that penetrate best - read: heavier, high FOC arrows.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:17 AM

It's a lost cause! The reason being, you have the blind leading the blind.
I blame it on the manufacturers. Speed sells. Would you buy that new bow if they told you that your arrow is far more important to your success as a hunter? Would you buy that new broadhead if they told you how to get your current one working perfectly, or if they told you all you needed was a heavier one?

No matter the product, marketing is designed to sell you the product, not neccessarily to educated you in what's best to accomplish your hunting goals. Marketing can get a lot of people believing it. Large numbers of followers tend to convince beginners that the marketing must be correct. So, don't hold your breath and don't bang your head against any walls. Just the same, keep the faith and continue trying.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

I just ordered some 6075Carbon Express Rebel Hunter FOC's. They weigh 11.3 gpi. I'm happy to see someone looking for the heavy arrow instead of the light, more speed variety. I totally agree with Straightarrow. Before the days of 'just say no' there was a saying that 'speed kills'. I think that old saying should now be changed to "PENETRATION KILLS"!!

moremass =more momentum =more penetration,oooraaah!!!!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lee,

Have they forced you out of vacation yet out there? Or, are you still sipping lemonade laughing at all of us suckers that work all year?

Old 08-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Local Walmart currently has the Carbon Express Terminator Selects for $6.67 each - they are 60/75 camo and are 31" long, which would be about right for a 63# bow. These arrows shoot very well from my 61# Hoyt Pro Tec. They are distinctly quieter than light arrows.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

I made the switch to a heavier set up a few years ago my groups are better my bow is quietier and more forgiving and my broadheads fly great.now I'm going to work on getting a higher foc arrow.If i have to buy new arrows for my new bow i will try to acheive a foc of at least 15% maybe up to 20%. I too have come to realize that speed is less important than hard hitting great flying arrows. I don't feel like I'm giving up anything because when I first started bowhunting we were happy to get speeds of 220 fps,now I get that with an arrow that weighs 500plus.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Easton Axis FMJ will be heavy and shoot very well.

Quick Reply: Heavy carbon wanted for 63#

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.