Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Paper tuned and shooting bullet holes, Whats next?

Old 08-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Typical Buck

Default Paper tuned and shooting bullet holes, Whats next?

I have my bow shooting bullet holes through paper, whats next, what else can I do to make sure my bow is in fine tuned, I shoot my broadheads and field points in almost the same spot give or take a few inches. Whats left?

Also I am having a problem keeping my pin on target, I just cant seem to settle down and hold steady, it is usually floating around and i find myself trying to shoot before the pin is even on the spot. I can hit the spot, but not every shot and it really bothers me. What can I do to try and fix this?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Default RE: Paper tuned and shooting bullet holes, Whats next?

CABELAS SELLS A CHEATER STRAP, I GOT TO CARRY MY BOW WHILE SHOOTING 3D BUT IT WORKS GREAT FOR STEADING THE BOW,
Old 08-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

A cheater strap??????? Is that what it is called?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 AM

Shoot from 20, 30, and 40 yards (even further if you want) to check for slight adjustments that needs to be made. If your arrows drift left or right, your centershot isn't just quite perfect.

Target panic is what you're describing. It's a mental thing, and confidence in your abilities and equipment will help that. It's an extremely difficult condition to overcome, but blind bale shooting a TON will help.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Can someone explain how to Blind Bale Shoot, I have an idea but never have seen it done or heard anybody really explain?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: killadoe

Can someone explain how to Blind Bale Shoot, I have an idea but never have seen it done or heard anybody really explain?
Get close to the target (a couple yards) and shoot with your eyes closed. The goal is to concentrate on perfect form; draw, release and follow through without the distraction of aiming.

It sounds like what you need to do is just the opposite. You need to lock the trigger down on your release and practice aiming without shooting. If there's an adjustment screw on your release, crank it down all the way so that the release can't be fired. Then draw the bow back and concentrate on holding the pin on the target as you go through your mental shot execution sequence for say 5-8 seconds and let down relax, breath and do it again. Repeat it a few dozen times and add 1/2 dozen each day.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: killadoe

I have my bow shooting bullet holes through paper, whats next, what else can I do to make sure my bow is in fine tuned, I shoot my broadheads and field points in almost the same spot give or take a few inches. Whats left?

You need to walk back or French tune the bow. Paper tuning only tells you your bow is close from a few feet away and is relied on way too much. If the bow is actually tuned the BH's will hit where the FT's do, not a few incehs away.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

What is French tune?
Old 08-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

What is French tune?
Throw the bow on the ground put your hands in the air while peeing your pants[8D]
Old 08-07-2007, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

I did that with my old bow.... didnt help anything, just had to change my pants..........