Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech Draw Weight...

Old 08-02-2007, 11:03 AM

Default Bowtech Draw Weight...

So, recently at work I've recieved a couple calls from a friend of mine working in another store on the other side of the state. Whenever they have a problem with an Allegiance they call me.

He's had two seperate models come in, one 50-60# and one 60-70#. Neither one will max out. The 50-60# model maxes out at 58# and the 60-70# model maxes out at 67#.

Try as I might, I couldn't figure out what would cause this. Everything was in spec, he even reset the limbs in their pockets, yet we couldn't find the max weight.

He's using one of the older spring style scales, so I decided to try it out in our store with the digital. Guess what? None of the Bowtechs would read at or higher than their max draw weight. All were one to three pounds light.

I tried it on several different bows from other manufacturers and their bows all came in right close (within .5#) of their max weight.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowtech Draw Weight...

Well I am not sure if you are looking for how to fix the problem or if you are just looking to see if others have noticed this......but I can tell you how to fix the problem.

You can do one of 2x things, you can use new cables that have a higher strand count (thicker) to increase poundage, or you can take the existing string/cables and add twists to both until you hit your desired lbs.

If adding twists, I have found that a ratio of 3 twists into the string per every 1 twist in the cables will keep timing pretty much in check assuming you are starting both with an equal amount of twists. This will increase your preloadand will affect your max draw weight as well. Once done make sure to check letoff,draw length, etc.........to make sure these are still in spec as well.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:54 AM

I'm looking for both, so I appreciate the information. Because I shoot one, I've been labeled the "Bowtech Guy" at work, so I want to know all I can about them.

See, I had him add twists to the strings and cables, while keeping it everything in check, and after three full twists , he only gained one full pound.

Now, on our old spring scale my Allegiance would read somewhere betweem 71 and 72#. I'll take it in on Saturday to check it against the digital. The only difference between my bow and the store bows would be the strings; I've got a Winner's Choice on mine.

If my bow reads at or above 70#, we can assume that with the stock Bowtech strings (perhaps for a lack of strands?) we won't acheive max draw weight unless we do a little fine tuning?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine still reads 71 with the factory strings on it, but it is an '06. That should notmake a difference. Also, what about the Smooth mods compared to Speed Mods.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I'm looking for both, so I appreciate the information. Because I shoot one, I've been labeled the "Bowtech Guy" at work, so I want to know all I can about them.

See, I had him add twists to the strings and cables, while keeping it everything in check, and after three full twists , he only gained one full pound.

Now, on our old spring scale my Allegiance would read somewhere betweem 71 and 72#. I'll take it in on Saturday to check it against the digital. The only difference between my bow and the store bows would be the strings; I've got a Winner's Choice on mine.

If my bow reads at or above 70#, we can assume that with the stock Bowtech strings (perhaps for a lack of strands?) we won't acheive max draw weight unless we do a little fine tuning?
1lb per 3 twists is pretty normal, however keep in mind the more twists in the string, the more it will change length per twists if that makes sense. I would assume the 67lb bow will hit 70 with about 8 string twists and I would probably put in 2-3 cable twists depending on where the cams clock. That will get you pretty darn close to your desired poundage.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:03 PM

How many twists and can safely add to a string before you start to notice issues? Quite a few?

And for every... Three twists add one to the cables?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Oneshot7

Mine still reads 71 with the factory strings on it, but it is an '06. That should notmake a difference. Also, what about the Smooth mods compared to Speed Mods.
He didn't mention which mods were installed, but that shouldn't make much of a difference, I wouldn't think. A 70# bow should read right at or above 70# regardless of the mod.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

How many twists and can safely add to a string before you start to notice issues? Quite a few?

And for every... Three twists add one to the cables?
Honestly, you aren't going to negatively affect a string with twists unless it is physically starting to kink. The only negative side affects can be that if it is twisted at a faster rate outside the served area, sometimes it can be a chore to get your peep to stay alignedat both static and full draw. Three twists to the string/one to the cables should keep the timing relatively close, but look at those timing marks before doing anything and make sure it is somewhat close when done adding twists.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is whatI would think to,I am just trying to think out the possibilities. I am trying to learn as much about them to because of a jobI hope to take this fall. What about year are they all '07s or both '06 and '07 models.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:12 PM

They were both '07s, if I remember correctly.

But thinking about it, I've had several bows (Bowtechs) come in in the last week for tune ups that didn't read correctly either. All were older models, 2006 and previous.

Quick Reply: Bowtech Draw Weight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.