Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

stabalizers

Old 01-01-2003, 09:59 PM

Default RE: stabalizers

Finding the best stabilizer over the net is like finding the best pair of shoes that fit you over the net. You may find a pair that fits but they may not be very comfortable or do the job you expect.

Several have given you the best advice and that is to visit a PRO Shop that will allow you to try many different brands/types. While I also think the Stealth is a fine product, the size or combination that meets your bow's needs cannot be determined by anyone but you. What type of bow and the accessories you have on your bow will determine the balance needed for the best performance.

As far as the bow falling or dropping forward, that is not as much the accepted way as it used to be; especially for the 'hunting' segment of our sport. The bow should jump straight forward in your bow hand, which should be loose enough to allow this to happen. As far as a bow sling, it is NOT necessary; but, many need it for a sense of security.

When selecting a stabilizer for balance, have someone watch your eccentrics during the shot. The eccentrics should jump equally forward in the direction of the shot. The second job of the stabilizer is to absorb shock/vibration and subsequently reduce noise. This can also only be determined by trying different stabilizers

As mentioned, a loose hand with the throat of the grip being against the meat of the thumb will give you the best results. This, of course, is a form factor and is somewhat separate from the choice of a stabilizer. Incorrect form can, however, have a negative affect on any part of the shooting sequence and selection of accessories/arrows.

Old 01-02-2003, 10:14 PM

You also have to look at what they are made of and how different they perform.Some are all rubber,some are hydraulic,some are gel.All work different with each type of bow.Go to a shop and check out what they have and see what feels the best on your bow.Some will help "jump" more,some with help noise,vibration,etc more than others.Good luck
Old 01-03-2003, 12:12 AM

Got my 6" Stealth Hunter stabilizer today. I only shot about 10 shots with it, but it did make my Legacy a bit quieter (it's pretty quiet already) and the bow feels much better balanced now.
Old 01-03-2003, 04:14 AM

i did talk to the gentleman from stealth archery. he says the 6" stealth would be the best one for me. he also says many people that have the cyber tech liked the 6" stealth. but that could also him trying to sell it to me as well.
i did try the 4" doinker that came with the hoyt package. seemed decent. but then again i never had any other on there.