Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Nock Low Tuning Issue

Old 07-26-2007, 12:00 PM

Default Nock Low Tuning Issue

Okay, this one has me stumped:

'06 BowTech Old Glory, 71 lbs., 30", QAD HD drop away w/ 29" A/C Superslim 340, 125 gr. points and Blazer fletchings, Carter release and loop.

I set the arrow up just barely nock high at rest and notice that there is a bit of porpoise to the flight at 50 yards and that everything is shooting way high so I go to the paper. There is a nock low tear that takes me about 1/2" of raising the nock point to get rid of. This is the first bow I have ever had to set a nock point this high on to get rid of a nock low tear. Anyone have ideas what's causing this? Give me the list and hopefully you guys come up with something I haven't tried. My next resort is going to be flipping the limbs around (top to bottom).
Old 07-26-2007, 12:38 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Nock Low Tuning Issue

ORIGINAL: KodiakArcher

Okay, this one has me stumped:

'06 BowTech Old Glory, 71 lbs., 30", QAD HD drop away w/ 29" A/C Superslim 340, 125 gr. points and Blazer fletchings, Carter release and loop.

I set the arrow up just barely nock high at rest and notice that there is a bit of porpoise to the flight at 50 yards and that everything is shooting way high so I go to the paper. There is a nock low tear that takes me about 1/2" of raising the nock point to get rid of. This is the first bow I have ever had to set a nock point this high on to get rid of a nock low tear. Anyone have ideas what's causing this? Give me the list and hopefully you guys come up with something I haven't tried. My next resort is going to be flipping the limbs around (top to bottom).
Way out of my league in tuning. But definately sounds like a limb or timing issue. Be curious what you find.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

First, check your tiller. Maybe you're getting too much palm heel into your grip, so be aware of that. Make sure the cam timing is right.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Kodiak, have you tried switching the Launcher arms on the QAD? The higher one is supposed to work better with blazers or so I was told from a tech at QAD. Would have to raise your nock point by adding this also, just a suggestion[&:]

Shane
Old 07-26-2007, 01:29 PM

I would want to eliminate the rest as a potential problem before moving to other possiblities.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I would want to eliminate the rest as a potential problem before moving to other possiblities.
Ahh... but what problems could it present that cause a nock low tear? There is no fletch contact (which would typically be nock high) and with the initial arrow set-up the arrow crosses level with the berger holes so it should not be too high/low. There has to be something I'm missing...
Old 07-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just a wild, probably futile guess, but how much clearance does your arrow have under the pin guard on your sight?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

First, check your tiller. Maybe you're getting too much palm heel into your grip, so be aware of that. Make sure the cam timing is right.
Tiller is set at even and seems to load equally throughout the draw (balanced). Tried both high and low wrist with same result but may tinker with that some more. Binary cams don't leave any timing adjustment to be played with and the timing marks show even.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Now you're makin' my brain hurt.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Just a wild, probably futile guess, but how much clearance does your arrow have under the pin guard on your sight?
Hmmm... good thought, never been an issue with that sight before so I didn't bother looking. Initial thought is that it's fine since the fletchings aren't showing marks and the guard height isn't adjustable on the Lethal Weapon 2 but I'll definitely check.

Quick Reply: Nock Low Tuning Issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.