Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Nock Low Tuning Issue

Old 07-26-2007, 01:46 PM

Default RE: Nock Low Tuning Issue

The rest maybe drops away too early?? We had a similar problem with one of my buddies Mathews this past spring. Just for grins, we took off the drop away and put on a Whisker Biscuit - adjusted the WB to the same position. Problem solved. Only bad thing about all this was that we never did figure out what there was about thedrop away rest that was causing the low nock tear.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Now you're makin' my brain hurt.
Yeah, thanks for sharing my pain![:@]
Old 07-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll have to say that your arrows are underspined. In fact, I think it's quite evident. Easy enough to confirm. Just take about two turns off the limbs and see if the results are any batter.

This where I'd start. If the arrows are underspined you'll just be wasting your time and lose a lot of hair trying other things.

Barry
Old 07-26-2007, 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I didn't see it mentioned, so I'll have to say that your arrows are underspined. In fact, I think it's quite evident. Easy enough to confirm. Just take about two turns off the limbs and see if the results are any batter.

This where I'd start. If the arrows are underspined you'll just be wasting your time and lose a lot of hair trying other things.

Barry
Actually nock high tear indicates weak arrow. So I'd think that nock low equals a stiff arrow. I've got some A/C Hyperspeed 2-49's in 420 deflection for my 3D rig I'll try out just to check. I've tried dropping the weight to no effect.
Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 AM

Since you've ruled out everything else, I suspect it has to be in the limbs. Tiller may show as even, but they must not be loading the same. Have you tried switching them yet? I'm sure you can bring the nock point down with a tiller adustment, but like Arthur always says, you want tiller set to where the bow balances best on your draw. It's possible that with one of the limb combinations you can have tiller close to where you like it.

By the way, porpoising in usually not a spine issue, but a nock or rest issue.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would start with foot spray on the arrow to determine if you actually have clearance. Might have missed what kind of rest your using, but couldit be bouncing up and hitting the arrow? Foot spray will determine this.

After confirming good clearance, I would start with taking 2 turns out of both limbs to see if spine is the problem. If that doesn't do it then I would move towards changing tiller one at a time from each end in 1/4 turn intervals.After each change intiller make sure you adjust the nock point to level. If you can't clear it up with 1 full turn on an end, then taking it out and moving towards 1 full turn (in 1/4 turn intervals) on the other end........then move towards different arrows to see if that clears things up.

Do you have a drop away tied into your down cable?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:42 PM

-Checked to make sure there's no clearance issues; none.
-The QAD HD locks down so there's no bounceback.
-Tried a 420 spine arrow and actually got a worse nock low tear so that lead me to believe it was a spine issue so I went back to the 340 spine and dropped 8 pounds off the bow and got the same tear as at 71. So I put it back up to 68 and still no change.
-Wrist high, wrist low, palm intentionally buried into the grip, no difference.
-The rest is properly tied into the down cable.

If I get back in off the water in time tonight I'll fool with tiller adjustments to rule out a weak limb.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:49 PM

This is the first tuning problem I've had with a Binary Cam system. If one cable stretched more than another the system balances the cam timing out but wouldn't it still cause different loading of the limbs? Nevermind, I guess it wouldn't because the cables aren't tied to the limbs but thinking of it... Wow! an unbalanced set of limbs would wreak havoc with the system. Guess I'll find out this weekend and let you know.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Good luck Kodiak. . .hopefully it isn't a limb issue, but then again, that might solve your problems.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm curious to see if your drop away tied into that down cable is pulling on it. Try installing a spring steel type rest on it or biscuit or something that doesn't affect the cables and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Nock Low Tuning Issue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.