Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

vanes vs blades

Old 07-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default vanes vs blades

Anyone gave this some tought already ?
I mean does it matter if the blades of your broadheads aren't on the same line as your vanes. Or doesn't that matter at all.
Just something I wanted to try out when I start fletching myself.

Frank
Old 07-25-2007, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: vanes vs blades

When I started shooting back in the early 80's I was told to always make sure they matched up. However, that thought process is pretty much not used anymore.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

It doesn't matter one way or another if they line up or not. But, if you're one of those obsessive/compulsive types and everything has to be exactly thus and so, then aligning them is okay. Just don't switch from 3-blade broadheads to 4-blade.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:23 AM
Typical Buck

Since my arrows with the muzzy's fly as well as the ones with fieldtips, I won't bother mathing them up.....I'm not the obsessive type, well, at least not when it comes to my arrows......when they fly straight, they fly straight....don't need those disco arrows with lots of colors and stuff.....

thx

Frank.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:08 AM
Typical Buck

Authur P touched on some thing a lot of people don't relize. The nature of a three blade broadhead isn't to wind plane, four baldes will. The way to counter wind plane in a four blade is to make it look like an X when the arrow is on the string. If you make it look like this + it has wings and will fly your arrow. But the old view of four blades four fletch isn't true. I have been using 3 vane/ 4 blade for years and they shoot like darts. But I am not lining up vanes and braodhead either, just setting up the broadhead so it doesn't plane.
Gselkhunter
Old 07-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gselkhunter

Authur P touched on some thing a lot of people don't relize. The nature of a three blade broadhead isn't to wind plane, four baldes will. The way to counter wind plane in a four blade is to make it look like an X when the arrow is on the string. If you make it look like this + it has wings and will fly your arrow. But the old view of four blades four fletch isn't true. I have been using 3 vane/ 4 blade for years and they shoot like darts. But I am not lining up vanes and braodhead either, just setting up the broadhead so it doesn't plane.
Gselkhunter
Hi gselkhunter
I'm not a very experienced bow shooter so if I sound like I don't know what i'm talking about that may be true. I shoot 4 blade Magnus Stingers so your post caught my eye.
I see what you are saying about the planing and starting the arrowhead looking like an X and not a +. But isn't the arrow spinning right off the bow? That would change the profile almost immediately wouldnt it?.
Even if it didnt spin, wouldnt theplanning then be at 45 degree angles rather than90 and 180?
Just trying to get a grasp on theX vs + thought.....Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The arrow needs to spin to stabilize the broadhead. so, you use helical or offset to make it spin once it leaves the bow. So, no matter what way you set-it up on the rest the blade will fly the way it's going to fly based on tuning or the wind.

The X VS + goes right along with the matching the 3 blades with the vanes. This guy told that guy who told someone else and before long everyone believed it.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Dave
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I said in another post that I started out lining my BH blades with the vanes, but it was only because it looked great. Now ArthurP has me thinking I may be obsessive/compulsive.
Seriously, I even try to fletch my arrows so that the cock vane is in the same position in relation to the print on each arrow so they all look uniform in the quiver.
Arthur would call it obsessive/compulsive, but my wife just says I'm being anal........

Old 07-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

hey little chief,

you should read my posts in the bowhunting section, do you own a banjo ???

Quick Reply: vanes vs blades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.