Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is there a way i can contain target panic.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Banned

Default Is there a way i can contain target panic.

I sometimes get bad target panic, usually i just slap the trigger when im not ready to fire. This is really messing up my accuracy. I heard that those back tension releases help with that, but i dont want to spend money on those, because i just bought a new release last winter. Any tips on how i can contain target panic better.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:41 PM

Default RE: Is there a way i can contain target panic.

A back tension release will not cure target panic, it will make it so you don't know when the shot will go off so you can't mess up the shot before it goes off. Sort of hard to punch the trigger if you don't have a trigger. It can be done though, backtension releases are not failsafe.

Blind bale, blank bale and aiming exercises will help. Do a search for Target Panic and several great threads will come up describing in detail what to do.

Good luck,
Paul
Old 07-23-2007, 03:02 PM

I had the same problem last year when I started. I read an article somewhere that sait to concentrate on the sight pin, and not the target with your eye.
It works for me.
Breathing. Like any type of shooting. You must control your breathing

David

Old 07-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sometimes making basic changes to your shooting style works. Like switching from a release to fingers. Or from sights to barebow. From compound to traditional. If you want to keep shooting the style you're using now, it's a long, slow process to get through TP, and you're never really free of it again.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:31 PM

I try to let arrows go the same way I let bullets go from a long range rifle. You squeeze the trigger when the sight(s) are aligned and, somewhere in there, the shot lets go. You want to let this happen all by itself and not do anything to make it happen except squeeze the trigger when the sights are aligned. The shot should surprise you a bit.

Some releases have adjustment for engagement and weight. A lighter pull with a cleaner let-go sometimes helps your brain to not know when the shot is about to break. Just don't go so light that shots start to get away from you.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just dealt with this issue about a month ago. Couldn't hit within a foot of the target half the time and was slapping the trigger.

A few guys at the range told me to just aim at the target for 5 or 6 seconds with your finger on the trigger without shooting and then let down. Repeat this 5 or 6 times and if you can do it without squeezing the trigger try shooting the same way. If you can't repeat for about half an hour.

If you can do it now it's time to shoot. Draw and hold for a few seconds and let the pin cross the bullseye once or twice without squeezing. I did this drill two times at the range and it significantly improved my target panic. I'm back to where I was before and actually a better shot because I can squeeze the trigger instead of punching.

Now, every time I shoot I follow that same procedure of drawing and going over the bull at least once then coming back and shooting. I can actually stop myself from squeezing the trigger when I think I'm going to slap it.

Another drill is to set the trigger heavy and use your regular release like a back tension. Wrap your finger around the trigger and squeeze with your back at full draw and your hand will automatically tighten and set the trigger off without you controlling it.

I've been told by a few archers that setting the trigger light can actually make the problem worse because now you are afraid to rest your finger on the trigger and will punch it even worse.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Banned

I was shootin just now, and now i use my middle finger instead of my index finger. It helped a lot.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
Old 07-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just practicing more isn't going to cure target panic. I was shooting at least 2-3 times a week and the guy thatI talked to about target panic was having the same issues and is at the range almost every day.

Target panic is caused by your wiring to your brain telling you to hit the trigger when you are on target. You think that if you do not shoot quick enough you will miss the target. Mine was so bad I was flinching likeI was shooting a high powered rifle and I was afraid of the recoil.I couldn't hit a 4' wide target at times. Shooting more will only increase that panic if you do not do something to rewire your brain. The moreI shot the worse it got.

You need to slow down and stop actually firing arrows at the target. Learn to only squeeze off the shot when you tell yourself it's time to shoot. If you have to hold for 30 seconds then do so. Let the pin swing over the target a few times and then release. not fire as soon as you are on the first time. Sometimes you are better off not releasing a single arrow during a session at the range. Just draw and concentrate on resting your finger on the release trigger and having good shooting form and clearing your mind. Only when you do that will you cure the problem.

All of this was told and taught to me by guys with a lot more years under their belts than me and also from reading articles on target panic.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

A lot of great advice Dave! Good Luck Reflex

Quick Reply: Is there a way i can contain target panic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.