Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Newbi to site

Old 07-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Spike

Default Newbi to site

Newbi to site and Bowhunting. My ?'s are :1) When sighting in my new bowI have great grouping on the bull at 30 yds. and below.When moving back to 40 yds. they are grouping to the right and seem to not be as far right at 50 yds. What would be the cause of that. Had the bow paper tuned at an archery shop and seemed to be OK...??
2) Are the string silencers a must or not, and if so what type.
3) What are some good range finders.
Thanks for any help

Old 07-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbi to site

Welcome to the site. What area of Maryland are you from?
To answer your questions.
1) Did the guy at the shop or you paper tune the bow? No 2 people shoot the same and someone else paper tuning your bow for you only gets the bow to be perfect for that person and pretty close for you.

The problem could be your form. You might be torquing the bow or maybe using more or less of the pin due to the distance.

The problem could be caused by rest. There are 2 ways to check this.
a. Walk back tuning. Shoot a group at 20 yds, 30 yds and 40 yds. If your groups move in a direction (to the right) as you go back then move the rest a hair to the left.

b. French tuning. Take your 50 yd pin and shoot at approx 4 yds. Site the pin dead on. As in hitting an eraser on. Now, go back to 50-55 yds and shoot a group. Same principle as walk back. If the arrows are all hitting right move the rest a hair left and go back to 4 yds and sight in again. Then go back to 50-55 and shoot again.

2)There is no cut and dry answer on string silencers. It all depends on what level of noise is acceptable to you or hat you perceive to be loud. Some bows don't need them others do. If you use a STS or a MeanV CSS you might be able to remove the string silencers. There are some guys that don't have a STS that shoot without silencers and are ok with that.

3) rangefinder. You can't go wrong with any of the rangefinders on the market now. Leupold and Nikon probably make the best. But the Bushnells aren't that far behind and will do the job for less money. I have a Leupold RXII and love it because of all of the options. My dad has a Nikon that works great.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could be ‘torqueing’ the bow. Relax your grip – don’t hold it super tight…. The further away you get from the target, any little imperfection in your shot will be magnified.

I don’t use string silencers. A lot of the new bows are extremely quite, so you may not need one. I’ve also heard that string silencers will cause you to loose a small amount of speed (though I’ve never tested that claim personally)

I own a Nikon 440 – great rangefinder for the money!
Old 07-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the great info. Dave,I live in Frederick but will be in Baltimore on Sunday for the big Firemans Parade. To follow up w/ your ? and info. I paper tuned my own bow they just watched and told me it was a clean tear.I'm probably tourqing my bow at the long distances because I feel that I'm gripping tighter. (will try and correct that) Also I shot alot of arrows at close range and at the ned of the day decided to go back further. I got tired andprobably was not using good form any more. Again thanks to all for the info, will keep you posted.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:35 PM
Spike

Well dave I tried both of your sighting in methods and they worked great. Did not have to change or adjust the bow. I concentrated on my form, lossened my grip and did not shoot so many arrows in a row to become tired... All arrows at 20, 30, 40, 50 yds. were in a nice tight 5" diameter grouping arond the bull! I guess next is to try the same thing with my Broadheads. Thanks again
Old 07-25-2007, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's good that you checked before adjusting the sight. Glad to hear the bow is shooting well. Now it's all just a matter of practice and more practice. If you are hitting a 5"circle at 50 yds that's pretty good shooting and you should be set.

Good luck this fall.