Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow variability

Old 07-22-2007, 09:06 PM

Default Arrow variability

So how much weight difference should you tolerate between arrows? I shoot Cabelas Carbon Hunter arrows and decided to weigh each one of them the other day. I was surprised to find out that there was quite a bit of variability, some as much as 20 to 25 grains. So should I try and add weight to even some of the lighter arrows out, or is 20 grains not that big of a deal? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:27 AM

Default RE: Arrow variability

You can't arbitrarily add weight without changing dynamic spine, which will cause eratic flight among the group. If you add weight to the front, you have to add the same to the back.

A 25 grain difference will cause about a 7 fps loss for the heavier arrow. At normal hunting distances it takes a real good shooter to be able to notice the difference. We're talking tenths of an inch.

It's far more important to make sure spine is constant (not likely on arrows that are that far off on weight). When shooting lower quality arrows, I highly recommend that you shoot them on the stiff side and if at all possible, spine tune the arrows.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:29 PM

Well I am a self taught bowhunter that is trying to learn all that I can about tuning from books. So could you explain to me what spine tuning is? How do you make sure the spine is constant? I appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 AM

To spine tune, you need access to a spine tester. Most people make their own. Doing a search on spine testers should give you some ideas.

I measure the spine on a dozen and cull the ones that vary by more than .010. I then measure stiffness on 4 oppossing sides of each arrow and mark the stiffest side. I then align the cock feather with the stiffest side.

After spine tuning the arrows, I then match my bow to them by adjusting draw weight, tip weight or arrow length.