Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who Needs Fletching?

Old 07-20-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Who Needs Fletching?

I was about to get some Axis shafts fletched up tonight and, after cutting the shafts to a length that the chartsshow to be right down the middle in terms of optimum spine and gluing in the inserts;decided to shoot some bare shafts - something I have never tried before.

To my amazement, the unfletched arrows shoot bullet holes and group very well - with field points, of course. (I wouldn't consider this with broadheads). Had no idea that an arrow had the ability to fly this well without vanes.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:20 PM

Default RE: Who Needs Fletching?

try it with BH i want to see what happens.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:28 PM

Do NOT shoot the bare shafts with a broad head. This is very dangerous you don't know where the arrow will end up going.

You really shouldn't paper tune with a bare shaft either, they are two different tuning methods. When bare shaft testing you are not really concerned with what the arrow is doing so much as where it impacts.

It is pretty much the ultimate in paper tuning though, I have tried it a few times. If you are the least bit off it can put a HUGE rip in the paper. It doesn't always mean your arrows will impact correctly at 10 or 20 yards though.

If you think that is impressive I have seen guys shoot bare shafts at 60 yards and group them well! I have done it out to 40 goofing off before, but you have to be REALLY consistent to do it. It is great way to tell if your form changes over time or from group to group.

Paul
Old 07-20-2007, 08:34 PM

I was shooting at 25 yards. As straight as the arrow was flying, I have no doubt it would continue ata straight path beyond. I did fireone quicksloppy shot during the process - and it hit the target about 15 degrees off to the right - even though it still impacted on the target dot. So I think you are right about form being magnified by this process.
Old 07-21-2007, 06:57 AM

I'm still experimenting with this, but since I've been shooting extreme FOC arrows, my bareshafts fly incredibly well. No problem grouping them with field tips at 40-50 yards. I haven't gone past that yardage yet, but only because I was completely happy with what I had.

I don't think this is a product of my shooting or arrow tuning abilities as much as the stability built into these very high FOC arrows. The owner of the range I shoot at, asked me to shoot a 3d tournament with my bareshafts, just so others could see what arrow tuning and really high FOC can do. By the way, I do occassionally shoot them through paper and yes, I do get a bullet hole, though the real test is on the range.