Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Penetration: weight vs. diameter

Old 07-20-2007, 02:59 PM

Default RE: Penetration: weight vs. diameter

It seems like you have multiple variables in your test . . . . would it be possible to shoot each arrow with the same head? Or to test each of the two heads attached to the same arrow? Also, I'm not convinced that the penetration an arrow displays on a broadhead target necessarily indicates what could be expected on game; since almost all of these targets stop the arrow by exerting friction on the arrow shaft. Got some hogs in your neighborhood ?
Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 PM

I just weighed my 29" Axis FMJ 340's today. Slim arrow and weighed in at 496 with a 100 grain point.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

In an animal if your broadhead is 1" wide, what difference is it going to make if the arrow is 1/4" or 3/8"? It will be going thru a 1" hole!

Just seems like common sense to me.

Now in a broadhead target I can see a slimmer arrow penetrating better. The foam heals much faster than flesh.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:06 PM

The arrow folks seem to be convinced that slim arrows penetrate better. Or at least that is their marketing ploy. Other than flesh and blood targets,it's hard to come up with an artificial medium to quantify penetration. I haven't shot enough game to come up with any meaningful comparison on this issue . . . .
Old 07-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

In an animal if your broadhead is 1" wide, what difference is it going to make if the arrow is 1/4" or 3/8"? It will be going thru a 1" hole!
Yep. I have to admit I long held onto that point of view myself. But according to the arrow lethality studies on live game and dead animals that Dr. Ashby has done, smaller diameter arrows really do penetrate better, all else being equal. Heavy arrows penetrate better than light ones. High FOC arrows penetrate better than low FOC arrows. I have to go with the data over gut feeling. So, it looks like if you want maximum penetration you want a heavy, small diameter arrow with a very high FOC.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:10 PM

The Axis arrow I'm using are the ST's - they are all carbon and the 400 series weigh 9.0 gpi. Axis FMJ are quite a bit heavier and, although I haven't put the calipers on any yet, don't appear to be as slim as the ST Axis. Minemike out at about .262". The A/C Super Slims are even skinnier at .252".
Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 PM

I think a heavy arrow would work better than a skinny. Like if I had to choose between a heavy fat arrow and a lighter skinny arrow I think the fat heavy arrow would out penetrate the light skinny arrow providing the weight difference was big enough.

Paul
Old 07-20-2007, 08:26 PM

I'm inclined to agree with you. I'm sure slimmer could make up for a certain amount of weight, but probably not 100 grains worth. Other factors would, of course, be the surface finish of the arrow shaft and the FOC.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

ROSKOE; I believe a slimmer arrow would get better penetration in a target than a larger arrow of same weight.but once you go from target to animal I prefer a heavy arrow as opposed to a lighter slimmer one,because once your broadhead opens him up it's easy saiing.That just my 2 cents.Anyway I like all the advantages of a heavier arrow.I've heard you comment on how queit your bow is with the heavier arrow many times.As far as the guys at the archery shop trying to sell you on something thats their job,plus have you ever noticed how each shop tend to push a differnt bow,broadhead arrows ect.One shop swears by mathews the next may praise hoyt and so on.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:16 PM

I have to admit the local shop is big on the Axis - as is one of my hunting buddies. One thing that turned out pretty well in this process is that I was able to swap Whisker Biscuits (large to small) without any change in point of impact. Maybe I was just lucky . . . . . .

Hate to be indecisive, but I'm kinda torn at this point between the heavy arrows and the new Axis. If I was just hunting elk, it would easier - go with the spear. But antelope opens on August 15th and elk on August 25th. Both seasons are rather long and one could conceivably hunt goats on Saturday and wapati on Sunday. For the dual purpose, I would probably lean towards the Axis. And fall turkey opens September 1st. Can't wait

Quick Reply: Penetration: weight vs. diameter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.