Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fletching drag on QAD rest

Old 07-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fletching drag on QAD rest

Up until the Limb Driver and the Whammy came out, the QAD was one of the fastest drop aways on the market. I've never seen one "too slow" to get out of the way.

What I have seen, is plenty that were set up incorrectly, and a couple of the Hunter models that bounced back up into the flight path of the fletchings. If you don't have an LD or HD model.... thats almost always the case.

Otherwise, make sure that your rest is lifting past 90 degrees at full draw. You may have to shorten/lengthen your draw cord as well. And of course... check the center shot.

If you are hitting that top containment bar... take it off and put it in the **** can. You don't need it anyway.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ddsnannychaser,

One more thingthat I thought of is which flipper are you using? The standard or the longer one? QAD recommends the longer one. however, that one seemed to give me a lot of contact issues so I went back to the standard.

treboryerf,

There is at least 2 guys on here that I know of shooting over 300 fps (1 at 360+) withdrop aways. It just takes longer to get the timing correct the faster the bow is. Some drop aways areslower than others though. I'd think the ones that use a spring to drop are much faster than the ones that use gravity.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

...or you could just get yourself a pack of Gateway Rayzr feathers and be done with it.

For $15, this guy even lets you pick both the cock (15) and hen feathers (30)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gateway-2-RW-Shield-Cut-Rayzr-Feathers-9-Colors-Pkg-45_W0QQitemZ300128973293QQihZ020QQcategoryZ20842QQ rdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

You'll never have any fletching clearance problems with feathers.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:47 AM

dave, swamp is right. i believe 5 spot has an article about it on his sight, and TT and others did some super slo mo video - and its bounce back that causes the issue. the older qad's are very touchy to minor cable stretch, cord stretch, or cord slippage. i haven't heard or seen of super slo mo video on the qad's, but i'd imagine its bounce back also.
i've fixed quite a few tt's by taking them apart and making them drop slower [:-]
Old 07-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never stated I disagreed with Swamp.

i had clearance issues with my down fanes and another guy with a QAD recommended movign the rest forward to drop faster. Problem solved.

I've gotten my 07' hunter model to clear without any problems at over 290 fps. My problem was not dropping fast enough.

Yes, the LD & HD models are designed to stop bounce back. I believe they even corrected the 07' hunter as well though.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Fran,

How durable are the Razors? Also, isn't the height about the same? Therefore, how could you clearance issues be resolved?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

On the shot, the g-force pulls the feathers rearward, laying them down pretty flatagainst the shaft for the first few feet of the arrow's flight. Once they're out of the chute, they flare back out and keep the arrow stabilized. So while the height at rest might be .5", the actual height (as the arrow flies through the dropaway) might only be .3"

These guys all seem to be having really good results with them.
http://archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=521583

They weigh 1.7 grains each, have a 1/2" profile heightand are 2" long. But, since they layback on the shot, their actual height while passing through the rest will be < .5"

The Blazers weigh5 grains each, have a .6" profile height andare 2" long.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thought of that afterI sent the post. Durability?

i may order a pack from Bowhunter's Superstore with the rest of the stuff i need to try them out. A 50 pack is only $11.95.

Do they have hot pink?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

Thanks for the info. I did'nt know if the guy who told me that was just trying to sell me a wb or not.
A shop employee favoring one product over the other? NO WAY! DOESN'T HAPPEN! lol

(at least they should have picked a better product than the WB...IMO)
Old 07-12-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

The WB seems to have replaced the double prong rest as the standard for basic rests.

gibblet,

QAD increased the strength of the spring to ensure that you do not have problems like the older models had with the bouce back effect. I was told to not buy any of the'06 models whenI was looking for a QAD due to the issue that you and Swamp are talking about.

I would think that rests that use a spring would be less likely to do that then rests that use gravity and a rubber bumper at the bottom like the TT's.

Quick Reply: fletching drag on QAD rest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.