Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Left wing or right wing

Old 07-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Left wing or right wing

I shoot a right handed bow and shoot left wing feathers... I went to bass pro shop to buy feathers today and there wasent a left wing feather on the shelf... I started to second guess my knowledge of arrow tunning... So I thought I might ask a stupid ?...

What do all you right handed bow shooters shoot. Left or right wing???
Old 07-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Left wing or right wing

I shoot left wing--only because I have left wing clamps for my jig.I've shot right wing already and they flew just as good
Old 07-04-2007, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I only bought right wing clamps because because right wing is the kind that's always been easiest to get at the local shops. I've bought arrows fletched left wing and they shot just as well as my regular ones. Sometimes I even thought they shot better.

Left or right doesn't really matter unless you're shooting a selfbow and using your hand as a rest. Then a rightie will need left wing and a lefty will need right wing. It helps prevent those nasty, painful feather cuts across the knuckle.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, slo mo videography reveals that fletching doesn't start to affect the rotation of the arrow until it clears the bow by a foot or so... unless you're shooting self bows, as Arthur mentioned above, it doesn't matter.

I and several others choose to shoot right helical though so that your arrow is spinning as to tighten your field points once they enter your bag target. It helps keep them from coming loose every shot.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:10 PM

Right Helical for the same reasons Greg said.

Left works against you.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:01 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I shoot right handed and left wing. I have a left wing clamp for the bitz and don't want to spend $$ to get a right wing. I bought it that way years ago as I was told that a RH shooter should shoot left wing by someone. It doesn't make any difference so I never changed.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't matter at all. The only thing is that the arrow will spin clockwise with right helical fletching, so on target impact it won't loosen points as bad as left helical. A little wax on the threads negates that anyway, so it really doesn't matter. If you shoot with feathers, you just need to make sure you have a left wing feathers for a left helical clamp or right wing for a right helical.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if chuck Adams shoot Left wing feathers
Old 07-07-2007, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard

I wonder if chuck Adams shoot Left wing feathers
Chuck shoots right wing vanes with a 1 degree straight offset. I know this because he told me several years ago at a hunting show. Great guy.

I shoot right wing for the same reasons as above. I have clamps for straight and both left and right helicals. I use a straight right for practice and a right helical for broadheads for a little extra stability.