Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How to get poundage back?

Old 12-26-2002, 01:33 PM

Default How to get poundage back?

I got a bow scale and some other tuning goodies for X-mas. My bow is maxed out as far as the limb bolts go. When I bought the bow last year It was set at 60 lbs. I shoot quite a bit and this winter with all my fat clothes on I adjusted the wheels from a 27.5 to a 27 inch draw. while shooting I've noticed the tail of my arrows kicking to the right. I cheched my poundage and I'm at 55lbs. Will twisting the cables bring the poundage back up. I shoot 30 inch. 2216s and I shoot fingers. My plunger tension is aready pretty soft. and my center shot is as far in as I want to move it.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:18 PM

Default RE: How to get poundage back?

I just changed the cables on my bow,which was maxed at 57lbs, and put a few twists in the cable. I went from shooting a 390gr@250 to 390gr@268 and I dropped the draw from 30 to 28(playing around, mostly). I haven't put it back on the scale yet, but I'm sure it's up to 60-61lbs now. So yes, you can get some draw weight back, be carefull not to overdo it though, as it will cause stress on the limbs.

I don't think that would be the reason for your arrows to be fishtailing though unless it became a spine issue.
Are you sure your "fat clothes" aren't the culprit? A string sliding down the arm of a winter coat will change arrow flight dramatically( as I found out myself) It took me 2 weeks to figure how to stay warm and still shoot my bow straight, what with the collar up to my nose and puffy left arm getting "ZIPPPPP" every shot!

Trushot }}------>
Old 12-26-2002, 09:25 PM

It could be my fat clothes.I don't get the fishtailing every shot but when paper tuning indoors with a t-shirt I still get a tail right tear from up close. and I have another bow set up very simular with a little more pondage same arrows and I get a good bullet.
Old 12-30-2002, 10:25 PM

yeah twisting the cables will increase your poundage but it will also shorten your draw length. you will also lose brace height. so you will end up defeating your purpose. you'll gain lbs, lose brace height, shorten your draw, and also end up w/a shorter powerstoke (shorten the "hot zone" of your cam) which in turn you'll probably lose FPS. rather than twisting your string or cables you can change the barings in your limb pockets to a larger size and that will give you back your lbs w/o effecting brace height or draw length...check w/the bow manufacturer first though because what you'll be doing is creating more of a pre-bend in the limbs and it may void any warranty.

Edited by - nodose on 12/30/2002 23:32:23