Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Downside to Long Arrows?

Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Downside to Long Arrows?

One of the local stores has some uncut Carbon Express Terminator shafts on sale for a great price. I draw 29", but generally use 28" arrows because of the WB rest set back on the riser. For the spine to be right on these Terminator shafts, which are one size stiffer than I normally use, they would need to be no shorter than 30". Is there any downside to running a longer arrow than really needed?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:51 PM

Default RE: Downside to Long Arrows?

weight and speed
Old 06-27-2007, 07:08 PM

Depending on your fletching and tip but you could have a lower FOC %.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

I'm going to go the other way on ya. A longer arrow is more stable in flight as long as spine, FOC, etc. are all in proper proportion. I prefer longer arrows for this reason, plus I like to have those sharp things at the business end as far away from my fingers as possible.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Snood Slapper

I'm going to go the other way on ya. A longer arrow is more stable in flight as long as spine, FOC, etc. are all in proper proportion. I prefer longer arrows for this reason, plus I like to have those sharp things at the business end as far away from my fingers as possible.

Good answer Grasshopper!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:21 AM

Yes, it will weight more, but only about 20 gr which is insignificant. However, that will increase momentum. FOC will lower slightly, but so little that it will not matter. I doubt would notice a difference between the two, except that the ones with the proper dynamic spine will shoot better.

It's always important to shoot an arrow at the proper dynamic spine needed for your setup. Keep in mind, there are a few ways to arrive at the same point. If it was me, I'd add weight to the front of the shorter length to increase FOC, while keeping arrow weight approximately the same. (I'm guessing that like most, you don't want heavy arrows). Remember, dynamic spine is weakened by adding weight to the front, increasing draw weight, or by shooting a longer arrow. Adding an extra 25 gr, or more, to the tip, may allow you to shoot them and inch or two shorter.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Hmm . . . running an arrow two inches longer is about the same weight addition as going to a 125 grain head with a 28" shaft; but the FOC issue is something to consider. Regular shaft with a heavier head is going to be better in terms of FOC, so that's what I'll do.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:56 PM

I use to cut my arrows as short as possible for speed. I guess old age or wisdom has caught up with me. I now figure the 2 or 3 fps increase in speed isn't worth having the broadhead resting behind my hand!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Absolutely. Even having a broadhead close to coming back through the rest is a psychological distraction for me. I like a good inch of clearance when the draw is at the back wall.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:44 PM

longer arrows are more forgiving, which means more accurate as far as my shooting goes - spine being right - and foc being where it needs to be for the arrows purpose in life.