Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Which String To Choose???

Old 06-28-2007, 05:03 AM

Default RE: Which String To Choose???

i'd agree with that ausie. any time you put a new string on its easier to shoot the bow 30-50 times before putting in the peep. i'd also agree that winner's choice makes a very nice set of strings. mike carter and wayne berry do also - if wayne is working right now i don't know. vapor trail - the reports aren't as good as they used to be. i'd say this is a good time to order from any of us. in a few weeks everyone's wait time will start increasing. w/in1.5 months i believe even WC will have a 3 week waiting list - they did last year - mine was longer - mike's was longer.... so, now's a good time - before the hunting rush - whoever you get them from.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

Does anyone use Winners Choice Strings? I have heard that they are a good Bowhunting string.
Yes, I have a set of WC's on my one hunting bow. I can attest that they are good, very good. I also tried Prostrings on a 2004 SlayR and those were good as well.

But since I had a chance to try Gibblet's strings and they are the equal of those others I mentioned, but at a less expensive price. In fact his end and loop servings were neater than the WC's.

As for a break-in time? It varies. Gibblets string actually settled into the cam in about 10 shots and nothing has moved since it was new. Others may take 50-100 shots and then become stable. Still not much considering the pressure they are under.

For those who don't know; there is nothing magical about the string material used by any of these guys. For the most part they use Brownell or BCY materials with BCY 452X or 8125 being the most popular. There are lots of choices.

The difference between aftermarket and most factory strings is that the former is put together and then stretched under a lot of pressure. This tends to even out the workload on each strand till they are all doing the same work. Then they are twisted to proper length and then served, again, under pressure. The end loops are usually paper clipped together to maintain the twists and then shipped to the buyer. Sometimes a few twsists may be added or subtracted to properly spec a bow or get proper peep alignment, but this doesn't hurt the integrity of the string.

Most factory strings are, on the other hand, just wrapped around a string jig, maybe twisted or maybe not, and served accordingly. Not usually pre-stretched so they end up creeping while on the bow being shot until all the strands equal out the workload. While this is happening the bow is changing tune. Draw length gets longer and weight goes up. Ever wonder why your bow doesn't shoot as well as it did a few weeks or months ago?
Along with this creeping the servings separate or spread apart, especially at the cam modules where there is a sharper bend. This is also partly due to the fact that the servings are not tight to begin with.

To tell the truth there are some mighty fine bows being made today. Many of them with inferior strings. Things are getting better, but not quick enough considering the retail price of upper end bows.

I shoot Martin bows and their strings have been pretty good for me the last couple years. None the less, I have become aware of the pitfalls of most factory strings and usually replace them as soon as I get a new bow. Besides, I like picking some juicy colors for my 3D bows. I'd also have to say that very rarely do I ever replace those aftermarket strings as I keep a bow only about 1 1/2 years anyway.

So anyone who is reading this, do yourself a favor and replace your factory strings. If it's Gibblet you want to deal with then he is amember of this site. All you have to do is check his profile or PM him for any info you may need. He's a standup guy and backs his work.

OK, I got long winded enough. Just hope this helps educate some with less experience.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I went with Vapor Trail and i am happy!! Next time i might get a Gibblet though, i heard thier good!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also use Gibblett's strings.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can't go wrong with Gibblet's strings ,I've had severel and haven't had any complaint's .

nubo
Old 06-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use Trophy Bound. They're great!!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:04 PM

I've got to buy my bow press first. I haven't goten around to doing that and If i want a new string Im gonna need it.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

I've got to buy my bow press first. I haven't goten around to doing that and If i want a new string Im gonna need it.
Make your own ratchet-lock type bow pres. Mine works great!