Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Porposing? No Resolution?

Old 06-26-2007, 10:55 AM

Default RE: Porposing? No Resolution?

If you have one in the shop put on a QAD LD(which stands for Lock Down). When the rest is triggered it falls and locks level with the shelf of the bow eliminating bounce back. I have this rest and have not had clearence issues. If bounce back is what your thinking is the problem then i would try that rest. Good Luck with whatever you do.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

Tiller is a relative measurement of the preload on the top as compared to the bottom limb. On a true dual cam bow (not a hybrid and not a single cam) the tiller is measured from the limb pocket to the actual bow string, however on a Hybrid or a single cam, there exists the possiblity that the idler and the cam are not the same diameter (like on the Matthews Apex). For those bows, a string is stretched between the axles on the top and bottom cam and tiller is measured from that reference. When you do this, you may notice that the string does not run parallel to the actual bow string.

The axle to axle (ATA) is the measured length between the centerline of the axles.

I can't speak for the Fred Bear bows, but on most single cams, the tiller is rarely equal when measured to the bow string.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

Tiller is a relative measurement of the preload on the top as compared to the bottom limb. On a true dual cam bow (not a hybrid and not a single cam) the tiller is measured from the limb pocket to the actual bow string, however on a Hybrid or a single cam, there exists the possiblity that the idler and the cam are not the same diameter (like on the Matthews Apex). For those bows, a string is stretched between the axles on the top and bottom cam and tiller is measured from that reference. When you do this, you may notice that the string does not run parallel to the actual bow string.

The axle to axle (ATA) is the measured length between the centerline of the axles.

I can't speak for the Fred Bear bows, but on most single cams, the tiller is rarely equal when measured to the bow string.
I'm with you now redline. Good stuff to know for sure. So in theory, taking oh say a quarter turn out of one or the other limb bolts may well solve the issue? Or should that be negligable? I don't know if this is the issue or not...but its always good to know.

Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just as a quick check, draw the bow while watching the sights. If it's out of tiller, it'll pull the sights one way or the other. Really, other than just checking to see if it's relatively close to begin with, I don't even bother measuring tiller any more. I simply adjust the limb bolts until I can draw straight back without the bow pulling the sights off target.

If the sights pull up, the top limb bolt needs backed off, or the bottom tightened, or both. If the sights pull down, loosen the bottom limb bolt or tighten the top one, or both.

After you've got it pulling straight and even, when you've got the bow's limb tension balanced in other words, readjust the nock point and procede with your usual tuning techniques.