Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

??Arrow Spine??

Old 06-25-2007, 02:33 PM

Default ??Arrow Spine??

Hey guys, I have a newb qeustion. How do you determine arrow spine for your particular bow. I have a hoyt razortech that I amshooting maxed out at 60lbs. I want to buy some new arrows but don't know what size to get. Right now I am shooting Beman 400's H.I.T. so they are really small. Will those work or do I actually need new arrows? Thanks

Curtis
Old 06-25-2007, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ??Arrow Spine??

Go to the website of the company who makes whatever arrows you're interested in. Use their arrow selection chart. They've all got arrow selection charts and they're pretty simple to use.

When you find whatever size the chart recommends, notice where you are in that range. If you wind up at the top of one arrow size's spine range - like if another 25 grains in tip weight would put you into the next size up - I recommend going right on up to the next size.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:09 PM

Yes okay, but then if i buy blank shafts and I cut them the spine changes, how do I get the right FOC% and the right spine for the bow? Is there a magic length? Or do you have to find the "best of both worlds" length?
Old 06-25-2007, 05:50 PM

Myself along with many others on this site use a software package called OnTarget2. It allows you to input information about your bow/setup. Then it has an spine match tab that will let you look up what the best arrow or set of arrows will best meet your needs.

I am playing with it right now. I am trying to decide what my next dozen will be. For $20 it was the best investment I have made yet. Fully downloadable from the internet.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:16 PM

Cool, so you can purchase it over the internet then?

Old 06-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Redneck,

Here is the link where you can download the demo and then decide to buy. You only need the SS (Shaft Selector Software). However, the SFA (Software for Archers) has the shaft selector as well as other features. When selecting the shafts make sure to choose the Hunting choice on the left side instead of the Target. The hunting will give you the stiffer shaft. Also, if you can go shoot any arrow you have now and get it chronographed and the arrow weighed. With that info and your bow info you cna set the software up for your bow and be a little more accurate in shaft selection.

Archer's Advantage is also a good program that allows you to install on more than 1 pc. You can buy a CD with the Ontarget2 software and 3 user rights for $50 at Lancaster Archery.

http://www.pinwheelsoftware.com/
Old 06-26-2007, 10:28 AM

sounds cool, Im gonna look into it. Thanks Guys.