Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

How much helical to use.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default How much helical to use.

I am going to get some new pointy sticks this coming weekend, but don't know how much helical to use. Any suggestions. I will be using slick tricks 100 gr if that makes a difference. I won't be doing the fletching myself and I live an hour and a half away from the closest proshop. So, I would like something that will work well the first time around. Too expensive to drive to proshop to have things worked on.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much helical to use.

You can only get as much helical as the clamp will give you. perhaps you mean Offset?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Ya, I mean degee of offset.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would just ask for as much offset as I could get with whatever vane you will be using.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are going to try to get as much offset as possible, may as well just go with a helical. I put as much helical as I can on mine. I use 4" vanes, and use the helical clamp, but also turn the dials to get the maximum amount of difference between front and back of the vane. I have to physically hold the clamp to get the vane to stay on the arrow, but they do fly real well, and I use Slicks as well.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use two degree offset with Slick Trick magnums and they fly great. I could put more offset / helical in there but if they already fly great and it would only cost me speed with no corresponding benefit.

As long as your bow is tuned well, 2 degrees should be fine IMO.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

use the helical clamp, but also turn the dials to get the maximum amount of difference between front and back of the vane.
Me too.

But -- I've gone to shooting dropaway rests, too. Make sure that if you put a super-aggressive helical with as much offset as the shaft will hold that you're getting clearance through your rest if you're using a more traditional two-prong rest.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:17 AM

The faster you can get your arrow spinning, the more stable it will be in adverse conditions, especially with broadheads attached. In addition a shaft that has a tendency to plane slightly, will plane far less. Always go with the maximum amount that your rest allows.

Helical is preferable over offset whenever possible. A helical clamp will only fit on an arrow shaft properly, one way. Therefore, there is no adjustment range. Large diameter shafts end up with more helical than small diameter shafts and 5" fletches end up with more than 4".
Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Helical is preferable over offset whenever possible. A helical clamp will only fit on an arrow shaft properly, one way. Therefore, there is no adjustment range. Large diameter shafts end up with more helical than small diameter shafts and 5" fletches end up with more than 4".
This is my thinking also. I tried to offset my helical clamp with some 4" vanes and couldn't really get it to contact the shaft the way I thought it should. As mentioned I could have probably held it down but I figured if I want more spin, more control then I would just use a different fletch such as a 5 1/2" magnum feather.