Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Who uses a loop/nock?

Old 12-22-2002, 12:29 PM

Default Who uses a loop/nock?

What are the advantages of using a string loop or nock versus just attaching the release to the string? I've gotten lots of different opinions on which is more accurate and more durable, but I'd love to hear opinions from folks here.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2002, 03:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Who uses a loop/nock?

I switched to a loop even before PSE and other companies began to offer them pre cut. I'll never go back. There is very little to no wear on the string, no torque on the string at full draw, and no nock pinch below the nock, the nock is centered directly in front of the release. Also when tuning you don't have to remove the nocking ring every time you need to move it, just simply twist the loop around the string and it will move up or down the serving just like a screw. They are lighter than the brass nocks also. The only draw back is that it does shorten the draw length of the bow about 1/2", but the advantages (IMO) far outweigh that. Don't use the metal loops out there, they are noisy and heavy, and that's just two more screws you have to wory about coming loose.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

I also use the loop string, I'd never go back. Ditto, on everything BIGBULLS says. elknut1
Old 12-22-2002, 05:51 PM

I've been using a string loop for about for years now. On 3D and hunting set ups. Use for the reasons that bigbulls explained.

As long as kids are having fun shooting, I don't care if I shoot bad
Old 12-22-2002, 06:53 PM

I have switched from a metal loop by ultranock and liked it very much.
to a string version the only bad thing that i can find is find it in the dark to put my release on....
Old 12-22-2002, 08:52 PM

Here's some information that I got from a good source that are Bob Ragsdale's reasons to use a string loop:
-"Eliminates arrow-falloff at full draw.
- Makes nocking point location less critical.
- No need to re-nock after a let-down.
- No serving wear from release aid contact.
- Assures easy one-handloading
- Releases can remain attached and ready to go.
- Eliminates gaps in serving from up pressure on nocking point.
- Controls peep sight rotation.
- Eliminates nock warping due to pinch at full draw.
- Allows release aids to be at an angle rather than only level.
- Makes shorter length bows easier to work with.
- Extends maximum available sight range area.
- Prevents arrow from sliding down the string during the shot.
- Prevents release aid rope slap with high cheek anchor.
- Improves shoulder alignment.
- Loop length can modify draw length of bow.
- Eliminates chin slap from inward swinging release aid ropes.
- Can be used with all non-rope release aids.
- Reduces string vibration noise."

While I agree with most of what is printed above, I must take some exceptions and respectfully question;
- Makes shorter length bows easier to work with.
- Loop length can modify draw length of bow.

If I were to shoot a 20" bow with a 10" loop to get my anchors properly set, would that make a suitable set-up? I don't think so. My face would be too far away from the string to utilize the peep or kisser or other string/component that would allow for better aiming.

If I have my draw length set properly so that my string touches the end of my nose (to the side if you shoot with glasses) and the kisser hits the corner of the mouth, does the loop extend the draw length or change the anchor position of the release hand?

Keep in mind that the proper draw length is having the arm extended to a proper relaxed bend position with the string touching the face. If you add a 2" long loop and then shorten your draw length by 2" (as some suggest), then the string will be 2" away from any anchor point on your face. I have exaggerated examples for effect.

We add a LOT of loops for the positive reasons noted. The loop is normally kept to a maximum of between 1/2-5/8". It is tightened using various methods to apply 100#+. This assures that it will not come loose. If it winds up being longer than 1/2-5/8" after tightening/stretching, we have tools to remove one end, cut it, and retie it. We have never had one slip. The release for the customer is then checked to see if it is too long. If it is, we suggest (if possible) that it be shortened. Most can be shortened.

There are now releases made by about 3 or 4 different manufacturers that cater to loops. These releases have a curved or tapered 'hook' that is easily attached to the loop even without looking at making the connection. They also have the trigger closer to the hook/jaw to compensate for the length of a standard loop.

Edited by - Len in Maryland on 12/22/2002 21:54:11
Old 12-22-2002, 10:00 PM

What are some of those brands/models that are meant for string loops, Len?
Old 12-22-2002, 10:18 PM

Scott, Trufire and Winn's are three that come to mind quickly.