Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Is my draw length too long?

Old 06-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is my draw length too long?

I may be grabbing at straws here but just wondering. I have 2 bows, one is a Hoty MT Sport and the other a Mathews Outback.

The Hoyt, just fits. When I draw and settle in, it just feels good. The Outback, is another story. It's just never been comfortable like the Hoyt. Both have a 29.5 draw. The Outback has a loop, the Hoyt does not.

Just curious and not sure if you can tell from the pictures if it is too long on the Mathews or not, but thought I would ask.

I've always had trouble with my Broadheads hitting the bullseye with my field tips on the Outback. I've been thru everything and the only thing I found is if I change my anchor point to be closer to my chin (not like you see in the picture) and I can get the BH and FP to hit the same spot. Problem is, it is not natural feeling.

Any thoughts, on form anything would be appreciated.

TIA

Old 06-07-2007, 08:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Is my draw length too long?

Both have a 29.5 draw. The Outback has a loop, the Hoyt does not.
Obvious question........Why would you expect2 bows with the "same" draw length (which many times varies WILDLY from manufacturer to manufacturer, bow to bow from the stated length) and then take one with a loop and one without and expect them to feel the same?

Also , long barreled-rearward trigger release + loop + possibly too long of a draw length = discomfort and inconsistency. Just look at where your release hand is located: WAY back.
The tendency to "arch" your forearm and wrist also points to your body trying to scrunch up and make the draw length and accessories managable.

IMO yeah your out of whack there but the problem with trying to dignose and cure form issues in pics is they are just that....pictures. There are so many variables involved and angles that it really takes a qualified person a hands on , face to face type analysis to get things going in the right direction.
The problem with doing it HERE is that while well meaning , many times you are going to get misinformation and suggestions from 20 different directions that can turn one problem into another.

My advice? Go see Len. LOL
Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the quick response. This sorta sums up what a novice like me wouldn't see.

"Also , long barreled-rearward trigger release + loop + possibly too long of a draw length = discomfort and inconsistency. Just look at where your release hand is located: WAY back.
The tendency to "arch" your forearm and wrist also points to your body trying to scrunch up and make the draw length and accessories managable."

You are correct, I shouldn't assume the drawswould be the same. But in a perfect world, they would be.

I went to a loop on this one I think just because it seemed to be the 'cool' thing to do. I should have stayed with the way I was shooting. See the Mathews was a gift. My Father had one it in a contest and had just bought a new Hoyt and didn't want it so I got it. I had to go and get fitted and send in the specs and then it arrived to the house. So I think that sorta started my problems. Even before I put the loop on, I just never thought the draw cycle fit me well.

I think I am going to take the loop off and I've been thinking of a new release. This would be a good excuse.

Thanks again for the insight. Just what I was looking for and why I always turn to this forum.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:25 AM

you may be able to ask someone to watch you shoot. have them get behind you and see if your release elbow is extended past the plane of the arrow. can't tell from the pics, but its a pretty good indication of too long a draw. like matt said, some of this could be cleaned up w/ a shorter release.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may want to check the actual draw length on that bow also. Sometimes the draw length specified by the installed modules for a bow is actually longer than it really should be. When you draw an arrow on the mathews does it stop at the same place as it does on the hoyt?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Both have a 29.5 draw. The Outback has a loop, the Hoyt does not.
Obvious question........Why would you expect2 bows with the "same" draw length (which many times varies WILDLY from manufacturer to manufacturer, bow to bow from the stated length) and then take one with a loop and one without and expect them to feel the same?

Also , long barreled-rearward trigger release + loop + possibly too long of a draw length = discomfort and inconsistency. Just look at where your release hand is located: WAY back.
The tendency to "arch" your forearm and wrist also points to your body trying to scrunch up and make the draw length and accessories managable.

IMO yeah your out of whack there but the problem with trying to dignose and cure form issues in pics is they are just that....pictures. There are so many variables involved and angles that it really takes a qualified person a hands on , face to face type analysis to get things going in the right direction.
The problem with doing it HERE is that while well meaning , many times you are going to get misinformation and suggestions from 20 different directions that can turn one problem into another.

My advice? Go see Len. LOL
I agree completely.

You can get alot of help through the pics but problem is that there will always be someone that will give you wrong info while someone else is giving you good info.You are left to decipher who is correct and who is full of it.Not to mention what is right for YOU.There is no cookie cutter form that is right for everyone ,just a few basics thatMOSTshould try and conform to.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always been a nonconformist and will never change. So there!!!!!!

Hey, Matt hit things pretty well and I have nothing to add except that between the loop and the release it appears you're overdrawn by 1 1/2" or more. I'd get that part straightened out first before you make any changes to the bow.

And get the bow measured to see if it is the stated drawlength. I'd guess that it is long as well.

You need the help of a good coach or good target shooter.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

I've always been a nonconformist and will never change. So there!!!!!!

Hey, Matt hit things pretty well and I have nothing to add except that between the loop and the release it appears you're overdrawn by 1 1/2" or more. I'd get that part straightened out first before you make any changes to the bow.

And get the bow measured to see if it is the stated drawlength. I'd guess that it is long as well.

You need the help of a good coach or good target shooter.

That is why MOST is capitalized.Have to leave some wiggle room for the nonconformist.[8D]
Old 06-07-2007, 10:29 PM
bigcountry

Sure looks like you have a real low wrist and locked bow arm. I would say maybe upwards of 2" too long. Maybe not.

I like my bow arm to not be locked, and not such a low wrist. That low wrist can cause torquing, and your locked arm.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 AM

Release hand knuckles appear to be behind your ear and bow arm is locked and very rigid looking. I would guess that Your bow's drawlength is about 1-1.5" too long, but add in an extra inch+ for your release barrel and I would guess that your release hand is about 3" too far back. It's very difficult to use back tension to trigger a release when your hand is that far back.

First, I would buy an adjustable release designed for use with a loop, shorten the barrel as far as is usable. To get my release hand in the right position, I use the 2nd knuckle on my index finger to hook over the trigger. Then, either shorten the loop as far as possible or remove it.

I'm curious, what is your wingspan?

Quick Reply: Is my draw length too long?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.